Summary: The Gardener is involved in everything that has to do with the Vine.
John 15:1-11 JESUS: THE TRUE VINE
The last verse in chapter 14 tells us that Jesus and the Disciples are about to leave the upper room.
• They are headed/Garden/Gethsemane where Jesus will pray His great High Priestly prayer
• Later be arrested by the mob led by Judas.
• Apparently, Jesus speaks the words which make up chapters 15 and 16 in route to the garden.
In this chapter, Jesus is pictured for us as the True Vine.
• I can imagine Jesus and these men going through the darkened streets of the city and then passing beyond the walls into the surrounding countryside.
• During this time of year, mid April, the grape vines would be beginning to blossom with the promise of a fresh harvest.
As Jesus walked with his Disciples, perhaps He reached out and took a vine in His hands and used it to teach an object lesson to His men.
• His desire is to teach them/most vital relationship they have in their lives
• The one that is with Jesus and His Father.
• We might ask ourselves, "Why did Jesus give them this teaching now?"
• The answer is simple: They needed it!
Just been informed that Jesus is going away
• But Jesus’ work is going to continue
• And it is to continue through them/their lives, John 14:12.
If they are to carry/work/Lord, they need to know how to produce that kind of fruit in their lives.
This morning, we are 2,000 years removed from that night, but the work of the Lord still marches forth.
• God is still working through/followers/Jesus Christ to accomplish His work and will in the world today.
Many of us may sit here and wonder…
• How we are supposed to do the work of the Lord
• How we can produce that kind of fruit in our own lives.
• Well, the answer is found in these verses.
• This passage is all about becoming a genuine Disciple
• About how to bear fruit for the glory of the Lord.
Jesus says "I AM" 7 times in the New Testament.
• Each I AM teaching teaches us something different about Jesus Christ.
• “I am the vine” teaches that Jesus Christ is the energy that produces fruit/acts of love in our lives.
• He simply says that "I am the true Vine"
Let's take a few minutes this morning to view this portrait of Jesus:
The True Vine and see how we can become more like Him.
I. V. 1-3 THE PERSONALITY OF THE TRUE VINE
A. The Genuineness Of The True Vine - Jesus and Jesus alone possesses life within Himself, John 14:6.
• All other vines are counterfeit.
• other vines that we human beings are deeply interconnected with and draw life and energy
• But these are false vines.
• Such false vines can be our job, our country, our team, our city, our recreation, our hobbies, and even our family and our church.
• The gospel text does not focus on false vines but simply says that Jesus is the true vine.
• He alone is the true source of everlasting, abundant life.
Jesus says I am the true Vine, and my Father is the vine dresser.