Summary: The writer of Hebrews said, “But without faith it is impossible to please him”
I BELIEVE GOD Philippians 4:13
The writer of Hebrews said, “But without faith it is impossible to please him” (Heb. 11:6). Not only do we exercise faith for salvation, but we must walk by faith. Paul said, “As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him” (Col. 2:6). A sin of Christians is little or no faith in the promises of God. Some Christians believe God in principle but not in practice. Let’s look at why Christians should believe God in principle AND in practice.
I. FAITH PRODUCES BOLDNESS
1. Boldness as a prisoner; vs. Acts 27:10 Sirs, I perceive that this voyage will be with hurt and much damage, not only of the lading and ship, but also of our lives.
2. Boldness as a preacher; vs. Acts 27:21 But after long abstinence Paul stood forth in the midst of them, and said, Sirs, ye should have hearkened unto me, and not have loosed from Crete, and to have gained this harm and loss.
3. Boldness as a prophet; vs. Acts 27:22 And now I exhort you to be of good cheer: for there shall be no loss of any man's life among you, but of the ship.
II. FAITH IS ENCOURAGED BY PROMISES
Acts 27:23-25 For there stood by me this night the angel of God, whose I am, and whom I serve, Saying, Fear not, Paul; thou must be brought before Caesar: and, lo, God hath given thee all them that sail with thee. Wherefore, sirs, be of good cheer: for I believe God, that it shall be even as it was told me.
1. The Source of the promises; vs. 24. “… God …”
2. The scope of the promises; vs. 24. “all them…”
III. FAITH WEATHERS THE STORM
Acts 27:26 Howbeit we must be cast upon a certain island.; 28:1 When they had been brought safely through, then we found out that the island was called Malta.
1. Faith weathers the storm of persecution.
2. Faith weathers the storm of adversity.
3. Faith weathers the storm of temptation; I Cor. 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also, so that you will be able to endure it.
IV. FAITH SILENCES THE ENEMY
Acts 28:2 The natives showed us extraordinary kindness; for because of the rain that had set in and because of the cold, they kindled a fire and received us all.
1. “Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies” Ps. 23:5.
2. “When a man’s ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him”; Prov. 16: 7.
V. FAITH PRESSES TOWARD THE GOAL
Phil. 3:12-14 Not that I have already obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.