Summary: What happened in Jesus' resurrection?
Note: The Bible by Jesus will be used throughout this lesson unless otherwise noted after each Bible reference.
A. MY FOLLOWERS SHOULD HAVE BEEN “RESURRECTED ORIENTED”
1. The resurrection was taught in the Old Testament.
a. Abraham’s action. “Abraham reasoned that if Isaac died, God would bring him back from the dead” (Heb. 11:19, NLT).
b. Job’s conviction. “After my flesh has decayed, yet in my body, I will see God” (Job 19:25, NLT).
2. The priest bribed the guards to spread a rumor. “You must report, the disciples came during the night and stole the body” (Matt. 28:13). The early church leader’s originally said, “Soldiers do not risk their life for a lie.”
4. I predicted My resurrection – 17 times. “I lay down My life that I may take it again” (John 10:17).
5. I had raised the dead three times, why not Me? Jairus’ daughter, the widow’s son, and Lazarus. “Lazarus come out . . . Lazarus came. . .” (John 11:43-44).
6. No doubt about My physical death. Physical exhaustion, excruciating pain, five bleeding wounds, beaten, side pierce, blood and water separated revealing death.
B. WHAT HAPPEN IN MY RESURRECTION
1. Physical death is a cessation of life, but in resurrection I live again. “Destroy this temple (My body) and in three day I will raise it up. I was speaking about My body” (John 2:19, 21).
2. In resurrection My body and soul were reunited. “Death is separation of body and soul (James 2:20). “It is finished . . . I bowed My head and gave up My life” (James 19:20). “I am not a ghost . . . they gave Me a piece of boiled fish and I ate it” (Luke 24:39, 43).
3. I subjected death and all power. “The woman’s seed (Christ) will bruise satan’s heel and he will bruise his heel” (Gen. 3:15). “I went into heaven and sat on the right hand of the Father . . . all powers became subject to Me” (1 Peter 3:22).
4. I received a new position. “When I appeared in human form, I humbled Myself” (Phil. 2:8). In heaven I am the man in glory “as a man in heaven I have an unchanging priesthood” (Heb. 7:24). “Standing by the throne . . . a lamb . . . worthy is the lamb” (Rev. 5:6, 12). “The Father elevated Me to a place of highest honor . . . every knee bow . . . every tongue confess” (Phil. 2:9-11).
5. I received new life that is identified with born again believers. “You died and was buried with Me in spiritual baptism, and as I was raised with glorious power, you now live that new life” (Rom. 6:5).
6. My new resurrected life I share with you. “I’ll be in you, and you will be in Me” (John 14:20; 15:7).
7. My body was immediately glorified.
a. The old body was identifiable, nail prints in hands and feet, and wound in side. In My new body I breathed, talked, ate, walked, and did some of the same activities as before.
b. At times I was unrecognized. Many at tomb, two walking to Emmaus, 7 fishing.
c. I have supernatural ability. Appear/disappear, pass through door, traveled great distance without being seen.
d. Eventually I was transformed – after the ascension. I was given the “halo-effect” or physical glorification, as on Mount of Transfiguration.” My face glistened as the sun, my clothes were sparking white” (Matt. 17:2). John saw Me on Patmos and fall as though dead. “My hair was white . . . eye flashed like flames of fire . . . feet polished bronze . . . voice thundered” (Rev. 1:14-17).
C. THE RESULTS OF MY RESURRECTION
1. I gave you eternal life. “I am the resurrection . . . those who believe in Me will not die in hell, but will have enteral life” (John 11:25).
2. I provided power for you. Paul prayed that you would realize, “The exceeding greatness of My power to you through My resurrection from the dead” (Eph. 1:19-20).
3. I finished the transaction of justification. (To declare one righteous). “I was delivered for you offences, but was raised that resulted in your justification” (Rom. 3:24).
4. I provided for your future resurrection. “Now I am raised from the dead and become the firstfruit for those who sleep in the grave” (1 Cor. 15:20). “Since I died and rose again, even those who sleep in the grave in Me, will the Father bring with Me when I return to earth” (1 Thess. 4:14).
5. So My union with you is complete.