Summary: Extraordinary events that were not natural, but supernatural.
Note: The Bible by Jesus will be used throughout this lesson unless otherwise noted after each Bible reference.
A. SURROUNDED BY THE SUPERNATURAL
1. Some events of my life were miraculous:
a. I fulfilled Old Testament prophecy
b. Prediction to Elizabeth and Mary and others
d. Appearance to shepherd and wisemen
2. Threefold definition. A miracle is (1) an extraordinary event that is not natural (according to law) but supernatural, (2) by a display of miraculous power (sign), (3) that accomplished a divine purpose (to attest deity, to verify messages, to reflect divine love or compassion and to benefit the recipient).
3. Divine providence, i.e., God working existing laws and principles. I was:
a. Spirit led (Luke 4:14).
b. Protected by angels (Mark 1:30).
c. Given information (John 5:20, 24).
B. EXTRAORDINARY EVENTS THAT WERE NOT NATURAL, BUT SUPERNATURAL
1. I cast out a demon. The people responded, “What is this new authority . . . went back to their homes telling everyone about My mighty power” (Mark 1:27-28).
2. I calmed winds and storms. “I stopped the wind . . . and the sea was calm . . . they said, ‘who is He, that even the wind . . . and sea obey Him?’” (Mark 4:41).
3. I fed 5,000 men. “After the people saw the miracle . . . this is the One” (John 6:14).
4. I didn’t break the laws of nature, but introduced a more powerful divine law. A rock thrown into a pond doesn’t break laws of gravity, but introduces a more powerful law.
5. A miracle of time. Leprosy healed instantly, blind saw immediately, lame walked. I also healed gradually, “I see people like trees swaying” (laid My hands . . . on second time . . . He saw everything plainly” (Mark 8:24-25).
C. A DISPLAY OF MIRACULOUS POWER
1. My miracles were from the Father. “The Father confirmed the message by giving signs, wonders and various miracles” (Heb. 2:4).
2. I didn’t do miracles on demand. “Only a wicked age will ask for a spectacular miracle . . . no sign . . . but the sign of Jonah” (Matt. 12:39). I referred them to My signs miracles. “I will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth” (Matt. 12:40).
3. I raised Lazarus. “This man does miracles” (John 11:47).
4. My miracles prove My Deity. “The testimony of My miracles . . . proved the Father sent Me” (John 5:36).
5. People recognized miraculous power. “They were both scared and amazed . . . He commanded even the winds and waves” (Luke 8:25).
6. To demonstrate My power over total blindness. “His blindness demonstrates the power of God . . . go wash . . . he came back seeing” (John 9:3, 7).
D. MY MIRACLES WERE FOR A PURPOSE
2. To verify My message. The Father who sent Me said I am the Son of God. If you refuse to believe . . . at least believe My miracles” (John 10:36-37).
3. To reflect My love and compassion on the hurting. “Because I was moved with love . . . be healed” (Mark 1:41).
4. To show compassion on a mother of a dead son. “When I saw (a widow’s only son was dead) I was moved with compassion for her . . . ‘stop weeping’ . . . touched the coffin . . . the dead boy sat up” (Luke 7:13-15).
5. To show compassion on a crowd. “I saw a great crowd. I had compassion for them, so I healed the sick” (Matt. 14:14).
6. To reveal faith in the one healed. “Daughter, your faith, not your touch, has healed you” (Mark 5:340.
E. I GIVE THE MIRACULOUS TO YOU
1. Greater miracles. “Believe because you have seen My miracles . . . he who believes in Me shall do the work that I do, and even greater ones” (John 14:11-12).
2. Prayer. “Whatever you pray, asking in My name, I’ll do it” (John 14:13).
3. Overcome barriers. “If you say to a mountain, ‘be removed . . . you will receive what you ask’” (Mark 11:23-24).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.