Summary: The sermon shares how the thief on the cross with Jesus Got it salvation.
Luke 23:33-43 “I GOT IT”
1. The text shares with us the location of events of the day it is The Place of the Skull"
• It is the location of the abused people shaking their heads Psalm 22:7), 7All who see me mock me; they hurl insults, shaking their heads:
• It is the location of the drinking of sour wine (Psalm 69:21b), 12Those who sit at the gate mock me, and I am the song of the drunkards even the drunkards watch me suffer
• It is the location of the mocking and reviling (Psalm 69:7ff), 7For I endure scorn for your sake, and shame covers my face. Jesus is insulted for you and I
• It is the location of the criminals (Isaiah 53:12) 12Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, He was numbered with the transgressors.
• It is the location where the casting of lots over the garments is done Psalm 22:18). 8"He trusts in the LORD; let the LORD rescue him. Let him deliver him, since he delights in him."
2. In this text we are reminded of the shrewdness of crucifixion
• This was a form of execution in the first century
• It was an agonizing and extended death
• There was sneering, mocking and scoffing, sneering, ridicule, of on lookers
3. The text today tells us of three mocking’s
• First the people behold, observe, fast their eyes on him
• Second the rulers derided, scorned, made fun of him
• Third group was the soldiers
4. Jesus makes some amazing announcements in this Scripture
• Jesus announces forgiveness father forgive them they know not what they have done
• Jesus announces that a thief would be In Paradise that day
• Jesus announces “in thy hands I commend my spirit it is finished” a work is completed
5. Our text shares also who really got it or who was really thankful for the
• The text records a conversation between the men that are crucified
• One said, “if you are messiah get us down the other said remember me when you enter into your kingdom”. verses 39-43,
• The disciples never could figure out how a Messiah could be crucified but This outcast gets it. The bandit understands that precisely because Jesus is on the cross, he is the Messiah.
• It wasn't the disciples who "got it.
• " It wasn't Jesus' family who "got it.
• " It was this "criminal" (v. 40), this outsider, who "got it" and gave witness to whom Jesus was when everyone else had deserted, double-crossed and derided him and then gone into hiding.
• Believing Jesus to be the Messiah, he says, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom"
6. You're probably wondering where the thanksgiving message is Did you not get it?
• It's here in the place called the skull, the crucifixion I thank God for the old rugged cross the emblem of suffering and shame,
• we heard about the mocking’s I am thankful that he never wavered he could have called 10,000 angels but he didn't,
• I am thankful for the announcement I am forgiven,
• I am thankful for the mysterious- ness there something about that name,
• I am thankful after many years of nonbelief and finally “I got it”.