Summary: this Christmas may our hearts focus on the Christ and the true meaning of Christmas and may we be encouraged to proclaim that message of Joy and peace!
I HAVE COME!
INTRODUCTION: I do not often preach another man’s message but when I do, you should know and the other get the credit: The outline for this message, as well as much of the material is taken from a message by Robert J. Morgan, found in the Preacher’s Resource Book 2003 and as it fit so nicely into my series I repeat it for you this morning.
A. With that said, even as we’re singing about “joy to the world” and “peace on earth,” our world is filled with wars and rumors of wars.
1. We think especially about Iraq and Afghanistan, we are there on a mission to rout out radicals who see nothing wrong with blowing up innocent people for their own pleasure and purpose
2. Our service men and women are in other places of possible danger all over the world trying to make or maintain the peace, something that is not easy
3. We need to pray for those who are carrying the torch of freedom on foreign soil!
4. Wouldn’t it be great if there could be joy and peace in our world?
B. How we need to understand the great peace initiative of heaven!
1. A little over 2000 years ago another man – actually God-man - went on a mission – a mission of joy and peace, that person is Jesus Christ.
2. John 6:38-40 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day. And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
3. Some of the most helpful information about our Lord’s mission comes from His “I am come” statements.
4. That phrase, occurring 10 times in the Gospels, is significant because it presupposes Christ’s preexistence.
5. The Lord Jesus is distinct from everyone else, in that He possesses a double nature—both God and man.
a. He has always existed and always will.
b. He is eternal in the heavens, thus His coming to earth was pre-planned.
6. Before the world was ever formed it was in the heart of God to provide a way for men to have joy and “peace on earth”
7. So when Luke wrote in Luke 2:11-14, For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.  And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.  And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.: - there was an eternal purpose, or mission if you will, behind His coming.
8. Thus the importance of the “I am come” statements.
C. As we look forward to Christmas, a time we celebrate the coming of Christ into our world, lets remember some of these “I am Come “ statements and truly give thanks for what Christmas is all about.
1. There are 4 which I would like to point out to you this morning
a. He Came to Represent the Father
b. He Came to Kindle a Fire
c. He Came to Preach a Message
d. He Came to Enrich Us
2. When I think of all the Lord came to do and accomplished in His 33, or so, years I have to exclaim with Paul, Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. 2 Cor. 9:15
As we contemplate the Lord Jesus Christ’s coming we should know that
I. HE CAME TO REPRESENT THE FATHER, John 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.
A. I am amazed at how many men the world is willing to follow:
1. Some are ruthless, mean and destructive
2. Some are vile, immoral, and unethical
3. Some are liars, cheats and unscrupulous
4. All have faults, limited understanding and questionable wisdom at times
5. But men will follow them to their graves by the millions
6. Yet, Christ a man in whom no evil or sinfulness can be found or attributed to is put on the side lines and those who do follow Him are consistently demeaned, bad mouthed and ridiculed.
B. But I really should not be amazed: Jesus told us that I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.