Summary: All of you together are Jesus' body, put in place by the Holy Spirit
Note: The Bible by Jesus will be used throughout this lesson unless otherwise noted after each Bible reference.
A. THE HOLY SPIRIT AND I ARE ETERNAL
1. Trinity. One God in unity, the Father, Son and the Holy Spirit; equal in nature, separate in person, submissive in duties.
2. Equal. “In the beginning, I created the heavens and the earth, with the Father and the Holy Spirit” (Gen. 1:1).
B. THE HOLY SPIRIT MINISTERED TO ME
1. Birth. “She (Mary), will conceive a Son through the Holy Spirit” (Matt. 1:18). “The Holy Spirit will come on you (Mary)” (Luke 1:55).
2. Baptism. “I saw heaven open, and the Spirit descended on Me” (Mark 1:10).
3. Temptation. “Immediately, the Spirit led Me into the desert” (Mark. 1:12).
4. Ministry. “I was filled with the Holy Spirit . . . I was led by the Spirit” (Luke 4:1).
5. Empowered. “The power of the Holy Spirit was on me” (Luke 4:14).
6. Spirit led preaching. “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me” (Luke 4:18).
7. Joy. “I was filled with joy by the Holy Spirit” (Luke 10:21).
8. I promised new birth by the Spirit. “Unless you are born of water and the Spirit” (John 3:5).
9. The Holy Spirit offered My blood to the Father through the Holy Spirit. “I offered my blood to the Father as a perfect sacrifice through the Holy Spirit” (Heb. 9:14).
10. Pray for Pentecost. “You must stay right here in the city and pray until you are anointed with power” (Luke 24:39).
11. Wait for the Spirit. “Do not depart from Jerusalem but wait” (Acts 1:4).
12. Water baptism. “Baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit” (Matt. 28:19).
13. The Holy Spirit places new believers into my body. “You were all baptized into my body – the universal church – by the Holy Spirit” (1 Cor. 12:13).
14. Unity in My body. “All of you together are my body, put in place by the Holy Spirit” (1 Cor. 12:27).
15. The Holy Spirit and I speak to churches. “This is a message from Me . . . I know all the things you do” (Rev. 2:1-2). Listen to what the Spirit is saying to the churches” (Rev. 2:7).
16. Our invitation. “The Holy Spirit and I say ‘come’” (Rev. 22:17). Your response. “Amen, come Lord Jesus” (Rev. 22:20).
C. I SENT THE HOLY SPIRIT
1. Refreshes and renews you. “You . . . will have living waters flowing out of his inner being. I was referring to the Holy Spirit” (John 7:39).
2. Will dwell in you. “I will ask the Father to send another person in My place. He will live in you forever. This other person is God the Holy Spirit” (John 19:17).
The indwelling of the Holy Spirit – life
The filling of the Holy Spirit – power
3. Inspiration of Scriptures. “I’m explaining those things while I’m with you . . . but the Holy Spirit . . . He’ll explain all spiritual things to you” (John 14:26). “All scripture is inspired” (2 Tim. 3:15). Inspired means, God breathed.
4. Illumination. “When the Holy Spirit comes – the Spirit of truth – He will speak plainly to your hearts, then you will speak plainly about Me” (John 15:26).
5. Convict of sin. “I will send the Holy Spirit to convict the world of sin, righteousness, and judgment . . . because they do not believe in Me” (John 16:13-15).
6. Wait and pray for Pentecost. “You must stay right here in the city and pray until you are anointed with power from on high” (Luke 24:29). “You will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now” (Acts 1:5).
7. Three sign gifts. “There was the sound of a roaring windstorm that filled the house, they saw flaming tongues of fire that sat on each of them, and each was filled with the Holy Spirit, and they began speaking foreign languages” (Acts 2:2-4).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.