Summary: Sermon about being encouraging rather than discouraged. You can see the whole sermon at https://faithandvictory.com/next/
*Disclaimer- I apologize if I don’t have the correct citations, please contact me if I may have inadvertently quoted someone inappropriately. I give anyone anywhere full use of this sermon in any format for any application with or without citation of me. Its all God’s word. If it blesses you and you want to use it- please do. Would love an email or a facebook connect to let me know, but not required. If you’re a tired pastor having long week- preach this thing word for word with no citation. I don’t care. I just want to help other pastors.
1 Sam 23:14-18 I shall be next you
We all get discouraged. It just happens. Hit after hit comes- and we just feel down
If you feel that way- how many other people do you think feel that way?
I have had extended amounts of times in my life- even in the past 5 where I’m discouraged
God wants you to be an encourager- you to be the means of how he strengthens others
1. Encouragement requires caring- I shall be next to you
• READ V 14-15
• Jonathan had to see that David was missing- they were friends- and because his friend was missing- he wanted to help him. – he had to actually CARE about his friend- Not selfish
• Pro 18:14 The spirit of a man will sustain him in sickness, But who can bear a broken spirit?
• Can you imagine how hard it would be to be David? Running for his life? VERY discouraged
• He knows that he is called of God- that God has big plans for him- but he is on the run! Trying to escape Saul and live out his kingship. – but day after day- someone trying to kill him
• Jonathan couldn’t be a friend to David if he was consumed with his own issues and problems
• He didn’t go out into the woods and say “hey bro my relationship w dad is destroyed let me tell you about it”. If Jonathan was going to encourage him- had to make it about DAVID not him
• Proverbs 27:9 Ointment and perfume delight the heart, And the sweetness of a man’s friend gives delight by hearty counsel.
• This is what Jonathan is doing- being sweet friend- he’s putting him first
• He was in despair over his friends missing that he went to seek him out. He CARED about HIM
What does it mean to you?
Who is your life about? about you, or about others? The Christian life is about others, not you
• Phil 2:4 Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
• You can look out for your interests- but not at the expense of others- you have to think of them also- constantly thinking about the needs of others- who can I encourage? Lift? Love?
• Philippians 2:3 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.
• Esteem others better than HIMSELF. This is very hard in a self-centered society. Its about US
• Galatians 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.
• This specifically needs to happen in the church- We have an obligation to bear with each others burdens- we are not merely attenders of the same church- we are family.
• Ephesians 2:19 Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God,
• IF we’re going to be the church that God wants us to be- we have to care about each other- not just the pastors and deacons caring about people- you should be caring about people
Do you come to church looking and loving? During the week? Reaching out? Who is your2?
2. Encouragement requires investment- I shall be next to you
• First Jonathan had to actually be paying attention- to see that there was a need- but then Jonathan had to go to his friend- Seek him out- Go to him-
• 16 Then Jonathan, Saul’s son, arose and went to David in the woods and strengthened his hand in God.
• Very easily Jonathan could have claimed that he was busy- that he wanted to please his dad- not have to get involved- because getting involved is costly- pouring out of self
• Pro 3:27 Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due, When it is in the power of your hand to do so.
• His purpose was simple- to encourage David- to “strengthen his hand in God”