Summary: The Second Coming of Jesus Christ. (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com)
(1). The Sleepers (vs 13-15).
(2). The Sorrowful (vs 13 & 14).
(3). The Survivors (vs 15-18).
• Two brothers were sitting around in the kitchen;
• The older brother said to the younger.
• “I’ll give you a pound if you let me break three of these on your head,”
• “Promise?” asked the younger. “I promise!” replied the older brother.
• Then enthusiastically, the older boy broke two eggs over his brother’s head.
• Standing stiff for fear the gooey mess would get all over him, the little boy asked,
• “When is the third egg coming?”
• “It’s not,” replied the brother. “That would cost me a pound!”
• TRANSITION: I guess humans we have all made promises and failed to keep them;
• Be encouraged this morning that God has never ever broken a promise!
• He has never had to use the words; “Ah well, promises are meant to be broken!”
• God keeps his word!
• He will not tell us one thing and do another!
• God traffics in truth! What he says he will do!
• If you believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God,
• Then the second coming of Jesus is a fact in future history;
• It is not a question of ‘WILL HE’ come again but ‘WHEN WILL HE’ come again!
• Just as the Old Testament is saturated with prophecies concerning Christ’s first advent,
• i.e. In 72 days we will be celebrating the fact that God kept his promise & sent Jesus!
• (That’s right 72 days till Christmas Day!)
• So just as the Old Testament is saturated with prophecies concerning Christ’s first advent
• So both Testaments are filled with references to the second coming of Christ.
• In fact for every prophecy in the Bible concerning Christ’s first advent,
• There are 8 which look forward to His second!
• One scholar has estimated that there are 1,845 references;
• To Christ’s second coming in the Old Testament,
• Where 17 books give it prominence.
• In the 260 chapters of the New Testament,
• There are 318 references to the second advent of Christ;
• That means an amazing 1 out of every 30 verses.
• And 23 out of the 27 New Testament books refer to this great event.
• That Jesus Christ is coming a second time to planet earth.
• So if we take this book seriously (and I hope we do):
• Then we can be confident, certain that the Lord is coming again!
• In fact even the very last words of the Bible say:
• “He who testifies to these things says, Yes, I am coming soon. Amen. Come, Lord Jesus”.
These verses in 1 Thessalonians chapter 4 are often called;
• The great hope of the Christian.
• They are a great encouragement especially when we are facing difficult times.
These verses were originally written as a response to a misunderstanding: