Summary: We need to know that we are continaully going the right way. Are we continuing to follow God, walking only where He leads or have we gotten off track?
I Will Live In-Between #6 Are We Going the Right Way?
~ Intro: Story of finding the way to the watch…by stopping and listening…
As we go through life we sometimes end up feeling like we have gotten off track and are headed the wrong direction or expending a lot of energy and getting nowhere. Well today as we consider or text found in Mark 8 we will answer the question: Are We Going the Right Way
1. We must determine which is the right way to go.(vrs 31-33)
• This is not determined by our track record, assumptions or traditions.
- Peter had just been right about who Jesus really was
- Popular assumption and tradition about the Messiah was that He would oust the Romans setting up an earthly kingdom
- We should remember what Isaiah 55:8 says,
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
~~~ So how do we determine which is the right way? ~~~
• The right way is always God’s way so listen to what He is saying, making sure you understand and then follow.
- This takes time, patience, and concentration
- This takes a willingness to change
- This takes trust
• Like when I taught swimming lessons…
So once we know where God is headed, how do we actually follow Him? Fortunately for us he goes on to tell us in the next verses …
2. The three fold formula for followership.(vrs 34-37)
• First, we must deny or turn away from self-centeredness.
- This is killing the “me syndrome” which is so prevalent in our society
- Toby Keith’s song, “I Just Wanna Talk About Me”
- Life following God is all about Him and others.
• Second, we must take up our cross, decisively saying yes to God’s will and way.
- When Jesus said this the people though of someone who was forced to publicly show submission to Rome by carrying his cross through the city.
- For us it should mean to demonstrate publicly our submission/obedience to God’s authority. (kind of eliminates the popular idea the faith is a private matter)
- It is obedience to God’s will accepting the consequences without reservation.
• Third, we must continually, always, moment by moment, follow Him.
- This is an on going, life long journey.
• Warning, there is danger in not following this formula…doing it God’s way.
- The loss of life and our soul
- Consider how it is put in Matthew 7:21-23
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’
So we know what will happen if we don’t do life God’s way, but is the outcome if we do?
3. Following God His way results in Him proudly claiming us as His own.(vrs 38)
• This is to enjoy the love and pride of God our heavenly Father.
- A fathers’/my pride in his children, eagerly stating, “that’s my kid”
• As we come to the conclusion today we come back to that opening question, “Are you going the right way?”