Summary: We need to know that Satan is out to get us all ... but take heart God is on our side and is praying for us.
I Will Live In-Between #9 Bad News, Good News
~ Intro: Have you ever had someone come up to tell you something and they say,
I’ve got bad new and good new which do you want to hear? Bad news, Good news lines: Like your dentist coming out and saying, ‘The good news is that you will only have to come see me one more time in your life, the bad news…we are going to have to pull all your teeth and give you dentures.’ Or having your teenager come up to you, ‘Dad the good news is that I was able to take care of that engine noise in the car, the bad news is that I used a tree to fix it.’
As we continue to look at becoming all we can be and the life of Peter, we see Jesus had some bad news and good news for us all to heed. Please turn with me to Luke 22:31-34…
1. The bad news of life is that Satan is out to get us…all of us.
• In 1 Peter 5:8 Satan is described as, “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.”
• So of Satan is going to “sift” us what from will it take?
- Peter was told what he would face and it serves as a pattern for us to be aware of.
- First we need to realize that not every bad thing is from the devil.
~ Many are just a result of living in a fallen world affected by sin.
- Look at what Peter went through in verses 55-60
- The central issue in some ways isn’t so much that of Peter denying Jesus but Peter denying himself.
- The real test or sifting is if we will deny who we are in Christ.
~ Most of the time this happens because deep down inside we don’t know who we are. We know in our heads not hearts.
~ You’re not one of those religious fanatics, holy rollers, Pentecostals freaks that are on fire are you?
~ Or, give me a break man, I’ve known you all my life, don’t tray and kid me about being different just because you went to church.
Sometimes knowing what’s going to happen doesn’t bring any comfort, yet if we knew why, we would be able to face the future with confidence. This bring us to our 2nd point…
2. The good news or encouragement about life found in Jesus’ words.
• First, Satan must ask permission before he touches us.
- This means, God, who knows what we can take has to give permission for stuff to happen.
- Consider the story of Job
- Remember that the Scriptures say “He will not give us more than we can handle.”
- Realize that this protection only applies to Christians.
• Second, we know that Jesus prays for each of us.
- Remember what Hebrews 7:25 says, “Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.”
- This should add comfort to everything we face.
~ It also shows that Jesus never gives up on us, He has faith in us.
~ Who would knowingly invest time and $ in a loosing cause…well Jesus knows everything…yet He invests His time in heaven praying for us.
~ Song, “The Lord is on my side, who is there against me, I have no reason to fear, I will be strong and walk forth in courage for the Lord is always near.”