Summary: Four insights to gaining control of your life
“If I’m Supposed to Be In Control of My Life, Why Can’t I Program My VCR?”
"What is man that you are mindful of him...You made him ruler over the works of your hands." Psalm 8:1-9
A sermon by Kenneth Wright - Sunday, October 29, 2006
We live in a wonderful age of technology don’t we?
• We have things in our homes that we couldn’t even dream about 50 years ago - television set, electric can openers, smoke detectors and dish-washers.
• Some of these things are wonderful - and some of these things are invented to drive you crazy.
Take the VCR for example.
• It’s a little black box with 153 separate wires that have to plug into the right holes on the back of your television set ---- and when it’s done correctly - you can program it to tape your favorite football game or movie - even when you’re away from the house. Right?
• I can’t even get the digital clock on mine to stop blinking 12:00...
• My grandkids come over and they hook it up to play all their veggie tales or little mermaid movies and I can’t even get it to cooperate with me enough to watch and old Jeremiah Johnson film.
Look at Psalms8:1-9 (READ)
• Key in on verse 4 and 6
The Listener’s Question
"If I am made to have control over my life -why can’t I program my VCR?
1. I DON’T HAVE CONTROL OVER MY LIFE BECAUSE THE EVENTS IN LIFE ARE JUST TOO RANDOM.
• I’m on the mountain top one minute and in the valley of darkness the next.
• You can’t control something that you can’t see coming.
Remember the old television program "Truth or Consequences?"
• Contestants were asked a question and if they got the answer correctly they won some sort of prize.
• If they answered incorrectly, they were taken to some silly sort of ordeal where they would make a blind choice between two or more things.
• One item in their lineup was hidden gift while there were other blind choices that lead to getting a pie in the face or doused with water or some other silly ordeal.
Life is a lot like that old program.
• Events may be random in life but if you know the answer to the original question you can side step many of the ordeals.
• You can control a lot of things in life - the problem is most people go through life making blind choices.
Genesis 13:11 - So Lot chose for himself the whole plain of the Jordan and set out toward the east.
• Cf. Gen 19 (Summarize)
2. I DON’T HAVE CONTROL OVER MY LIFE BECAUSE I’M TOO BUSY.
• My job takes me away from the important things I need to be doing.
• My kids have so many activities that I have to manage.
• I’m being pulled in every direction all at the same time.
• Everyone wants a piece of me.
Every one has 24 hours a day to accomplish things in their lives.
• The problem is simply a matter of priorities.
• If you control your time you can get a handle on your life.
Exodus 18:13-33 (Read)
3. I DON’T HAVE CONTROL OVER MY LIFE BECAUSE OF FINANCIAL PROBLEMS.
• The bill collectors call at all hours of the night
• They call when I sit down to dinner
• The phone wakes me up in the morning and the voice on the other end want another payment that I don’t have