Summary: Jesus tells us He is living bread, Word made flesh, He will be lifted up on a blood Cross, and He will given for the life of the world.
“If you can’t stand the heat get out of the Kitchen” John 6:51-70
Living bread. Word made flesh. Lifted on the bloody cross. Given for the life of the world.
1. Kitchens in early 1800's were extremely hot, miserable, dangerous, hard work, sweaty; drain your energy, stinky.
2. One might say Jesus is cooking something Up in the kitchen it’s a recipe for eternal Life
• He says, 51I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever.
• 53Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up
• Jesus is saying we need to be a partaker of the person of Jesus Christ, His merits, his qualities, His passions, His privileges; His freedoms , His character. His forgiveness
3. Jesus creates much more heat in the kitchen scripture tells us
• Vs. 52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, “How can this man give us his flesh to eat?”
• Not only did the Jews get confused but so did the disciples 66 From that time many of His disciples went [p]back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?
4. Jesus is has the old kitchen Hot He told them and He tells us He IS Living Bread
• Now what Jesus says, is like putting two more logs on the old wood stove it's going to really get hot" Very truly, I tell you," says Jesus, "unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you" (v. 53).
• Jesus is Living bread. Now remember our fathers ate food in the wilderness and they died but Jesus is the Bread from Heaven Living bread, Living nourishment, Living Healthiness. If you want to live you have to eat and drink
5. Jesus has got the kitchen roasting by now He reveals “He is the Word made Flesh” He came down
• Jesus is the word of God in human form; we can always be strengthened by what he says to us in the gospels. His words are trustworthy and true, and he remains for us "the way, and the truth, and the life" (John 14:6).
6. Jesus got the old cook stove Hot He claims He will be “lifted on a bloody Cross”
• Vs 51 This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world."
• “as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life" (3:14-15).
7. AS if the old kitchen wasn’t hot enough now He claims “Jesus is Given for the life of the world.” “John 3:16, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life."So Very truly, I tell you," says Jesus, "unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you" (v. 53).
8. Finally, The kitchen is the place of heat, hard stuff , Hard times, but it's also the place where good stuff is made
• The Good Stuff Jesus is not dead lifeless bread but He is Living Bread breathing Bread, Life sustainable Bread
• The Good Stuff is Jesus is the Word made flesh came to us that we might be brought to The Father
• The Good Stuff is Jesus made a Way to Heaven he was lifted up that we might be raised Up
• The Good Stuff is Jesus is Given for the life of the world that we might Be Forgiven
Jesus gives us a recipe for eternal life its living bread, the Word made flesh, He is lifted on an Bloody cross, and He is given for the life of the world eat the bread drink the blood!