Summary: For us to grow in our faith we must love Jesus more.
If You Love Me…
John 14:15; 21:15-19
2010 is just over a week old and most of us have made New Year’s resolutions and many have already been broken. These resolutions, even if already broken, show that you feel there is something in your life that needs to be changed.
Let me share something with you that I thought about the other night: What if you could only make one New Year’s resolution? What would you choose?
If you only could make one change in yourself you would probably want that change to be most dramatic in your life and the lives around you.
After much time thinking on this subject I came up with what I think would be the one thing that I could do to change my life and the lives around me. In 2010 I want to grow as a Christian.
In the year 2010 I resolve to love Christ more than I ever have. I think that for us to grow in our faith we must love Jesus more. The two just naturally go hand-in-hand.
Have you ever known married people who, after years of marriage, began to look alike and act alike and could even finish each others sentences? It is the same in our spiritual lives – the more we love Jesus the more time we will spend with Him and the more we will become like Him.
A supreme love for Christ will settle all the questions you have concerning Christian living:
• S. S. Attendance,
• D. T. Attendance,
• Prayer Meeting,
All can be traced back to your love for Jesus. He said in John 14:15, “If you love Me…” So much depends upon “if you love me…” It will settle EVERYTHING! It did for Peter.
This is a very popular story in the Bible but let’s look at it and see what we can gain…
IF YOU LOVE ME…
I. … You Will Read About Him.
A. This is the starting point on becoming a daily Bible reader.
1. If you love Jesus then you would have no trouble with:
a) Daily Devotions,
b) Daily Quiet Times in the Word,
c) Bible Studies.
2. These things just become logical results from the love that is in you.
B. The Bible is God’s love letter to us.
1. When I was in Basic Training at Lackland AFB I couldn’t wait until mail call. I would usually get a couple letters a day from Mama, Shena and my sister. I would enjoy reading those letters over and over because I knew they loved me and I loved them.
2. If we really love God we have no problem reading His love letter to us.
II. You Will Enjoy Hearing About Him.
A. This is the secret to attendance.
1. If you really loved Jesus you would enjoy coming out to hear about Him.
a) A Christian once said to his minister, “I can worship God and enter into the Holy of Holies just as easily in my garden as I can in a church pew.” Later on the two men were sitting before a fireplace in which the embers glowed cheerily. Silently the minister went to the fireplace, took the tongs, and lifted a single glowing coal from the fire and placed it alone on the hearth. Soon it became black ash. The church-neglecting Christian said, “Ah, you need not say a word. I understand what you mean. I cannot worship alone any more than I can live alone. I’ll be in my place at the church next Sunday.”
b) The environment of the right church is basic to Christian growth.
2. If you love Him you will be there.
B. The starting point:
1. We need to get people to fall in love with Christ.
a) Our teachers need to teach their students to love Christ.
b) Our music department should be in love with Christ.
c) I need to be more in love with Christ.
2. I am convinced that IF we love Christ more than anything or anyone, we will come out to hear about Him.
a) We will enjoy it more and we will want to come back.
b) Probably the reason you do not like coming to church is because you do not love Jesus.
III. You Will Enjoy Talking To Him.
A. Prayer is simply talking to God.
1. If you love Him you will just sit down and talk with Him more often.
a) Tell Him all of your burden’s,
b) Talk over your plans,
c) Let Him know your fears.
2. He loves you and wants to hear from you.
B. Your Prayers will change:
1. You will begin to focus more on the things that concern Him and less on the things that concern you.