Summary: Being a christian is more than just attending church on Sunday morning.
ILLUSIONS OF AND
II CORINTHIANS 5: 17
WEBSTERS DICTIONARY SAYES THE WORD ILLUSION MEANS A MISLEADING PERCEPTION OF REALITY AN OVERLY OPTIMISTIC IDEA OR BELIEF MISCONCEPTION
PEOPLE BUILD UP AN IMAGE OF WHAT THEY WANT OTHER PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THEY ARE; IT’S LIKE WEARING A MASK YOU CAN’T SEE THE REAL PERSON UNTIL THE MASK IS REMOVED
LET’S LOOK AT THE TEXT SCRIPTURE AND BREAK IT DOWN AND GET THE REAL MEANING OF WHAT THE LORD WANTS US TO SEE HERE.
· ANY MAN IN CHRIST ------- JOHN 6 : 63
A railway gatekeeper, who one cold night required every passenger to show his ticket before passing through to the train, and was rewarded with considerable grumbling and protesting, was told: "You are a very unpopular man tonight." "I only care to be popular with one man," was the reply, "and that is the superintendent." He might have pleased the passengers, disobeyed orders, and lost his position. He was too wise for that; his business was to please one man--the man who hired him, gave him his orders, and rewarded him for faithfulness, and who would discharge him for disobedience. The servant of Christ has many opportunities to make himself unpopular. There are multitudes who would be glad to have him relax the strictness of his rules. If he is their servant, they demand that he should consult their wishes. But if he serves them, he cannot serve the Lord. "No man can serve two masters." He who tries to be popular with the world, will lose his popularity with the Lord. He will make friends, but he will lose the one Friend who is above all others. He will win plaudits, but he will not hear the gracious words: "Well done!"
WE NEED TO BE LIKE CHRIST -BE IN CHRIST AND NOT WORRY WHAT OTHERS MAY OR MAY NOT THINK ABOUT US INSTEAD BE CONCENTRATED ON WHAT GOD THINKS.
· A NEW CREATURE ( CREATION ) ROMANS 8 : 9
BEING A NEW CREATION MEANS THE OLD MUST BE REMOVED
IN ORDER FOR THE NEW TO BE ABLE TO BE SEEN.
· OLD THINGS ARE PASSED AWAY ISAIAH 43 : 18
ISAIAH 65: 17
This brings us to talk about counterfeit Christianity
· Parable of the kingdom of heaven; reveal/conceal truth
· Parable addresses the most common objection I hear for becoming involved in a church: what about the hypocrites? Why are there so many denominations and cults?
· Jesus knew that question would face the disciples. Counterfeit Christians are...
Sown by the Devil (24-25)
1. His Identity "his enemy came"
· the devil v.39
· Angel once faithful Ezek. 28
· Angel who rebelled Is. 14
2. His Purpose
· To frustrate the work of God-poses as an angel of light II Corinthians 11 points to his most subtle work - counterfeit gospel and counterfeit preachers - jet temptation was not to commit some heinous sin -but it was religious in nature ("ye shall be as god?)
· To obtain the worship of God Rev. 13:74- he wants what God has always had, in anti-Christ (his counterfeit Christ) he will get it!
Sustained by Deception (26-27)
1. The nature of flu deception "while men slept... sowed tarn"
· Counterfeit Appearance: share the same appearance - Tares = weed that looks like wheat in the blade - host to a poisonous fungus - only distinguishable in the head
· Counterfeit Fellowship: share the same soil - they grow in intimate proximity with the wheat - roots are intertwined.
a. Far from undermining the veracity W scripture1 the present of counterfeits confirms the Word! Jesus said it would happen.
b. Goal is to quietly plant people in the church that look and sound like Christians but are not.
2. The depth of the deception "while men slept" - unconscious of the problem - how can they be identified?
Not by use of Scripture Mt 7:21
· Not by a profession of faith Mt 7:22 In Jesus name" - devils believe and tremble!
· Not by display of power Mt 7:22
· Not by good works Mt. 7:15 "sheep’s clothing"
3. The recognition of the deception "when the grain.. had produced a crop, THEN the tarn also appeared."
The Relationship Test Mt. 7:21
The Reproduction Test Mt. 7:1-2O - key difference between the wheat and tares is not what they Do, but not what they are - noted when fruit borne!!!!!!!! You can change what you are (MT 25 sheep and goats etc.)
· Proverbs 21:4 A haughty look, a proud heart, And the plowing of the wicked are sin.
Illustration: I once- once reached in the refrigerator and picked up old coffee in the tea pitcher instead of tea - both are drinks that can satisfy a thirst - but what they are matters more than what they do!