Summary: Seeing selfish ambition, vain conceit, discord, from persecution, Paul called on the church to “conduct themselves in a manner worthy” of their calling and not "of" the world. Just as Christ sacrificed Himself for the sake of others, we also are to offer
A. LIFE TODAY IS NOT WHAT CHRIST INTENDED
1. We live in a “dog eat dog” world.
2. “SELF” rules
We may view ourselves as did the Pharisee depicted by Jesus who prayed,
“God, I thank Thee that I am not like other people: swindlers, unjust,
adulterers, or even like this tax-gatherer. I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get” (Luke 18.12)
3. ILLUSTRATION: ‘NESA’
a) Nesa made a very big mistake that carries some tough consequences
b) A mistake that has reminded me of how hard it is to display forgiveness – rather than judgment - at times.
1. I’ve seen many good Christian people – who love the Lord – still maintain an attitude of judgment.
c) Reminded me how vulnerable we are AND how susceptible
1. Paul saw the same thing (selfish ambition, vain conceit, discord)
2. Called on Church to “conduct themselves in a manner worthy”
3. Reminded them to learn to stand united in HUMILITY
HOW WOULD YOU DEFINE HUMILITY?
1 : not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
2 : ranking low in a hierarchy or scale
Does ‘HUMILITY’ simply show a “MINDSET OF ‘OTHERS’”?
1. Fits perfect for “MEMORIAL DAY” doesn’t it?
2. And doesn’t the lack of attention we give to our military show how self centered our country has become?
3. A Good Example of what it means to set aside the needs of one’s self in order to represent the needs of another!
C. READ VERSE 5
1. If we want to live for Christ & AS HE DESIRES then we need to understand today’s passage!
READ FULL PASSAGE
1. Everything God is, Christ is
2. Jesus did not demand and cling to his rights as God but set them aside for a time in order to become human.
3. When Christ was born, Christ became man but the perfect expression of God in human form.
4. Did not give up his eternal power when He became human, but he did set aside his glory and his rights.
SET HIS SELF ASIDE
IN BEING AS CHRIST, WE ARE TO SET OURSELF ASIDE.
1. He voluntarily gave of himself, making himself nothing. He did not give up His deity to become human. Yet upon his birth, he took the humble position of a slave.
2. What appeared was not what was expected – but a servant – the lowest point of man. Went from the highest to the lowest.
1. in the human form he then humbled himself to accomplish the task God had called him to do.
2. Died a criminal’s death, BUT he was NOT A CRIMINAL. The law required sinless living – Christ lived sinless living – whereas He had all rights to receive immortality – He still lowered himself to die the worst death known to man.
3. Death on a cross was form of capital punishment that romans used for the worst of criminals.
4. It was excruciatingly painful and humiliating. Prisoners were nailed or tied to a cross and left to die. Death may not come for several days, and it usually came by suffocation when the weight of the weakened body made breathing more difficult. Jesus died as one who was cursed. (GAL 3.13)
5. WHY DID JESUS HAVE TO BECOME A HUMAN AND LIVE A PERFECT LIFE AND STILL DIE A HORRIBLE SINNERS – A CRIMINAL’S DEATH?