Summary: We shouldn’t forget those that we love and have lost to death.
“IN MEMORY OF HER”
Mat. 26:13 “I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her.”
INTRO: Memorial is considered: serving to preserve remembrance; it isn’t a custom for us as Hispanics to commemorate. Probably we don’t participate of it because of our religious upbringing. Commemorate means: “intended as a reminder of a person or event or as a celebration of somebody’s life and work.” But what does the Bible says about not “forgetting individuals” or the “things they did while alive?”
The Scripture that was quoted tells us a story of Jesus last days on earth. Let us relate to it and other Scriptures about memorial.
I. JESUS TELLS US: “IN MEMORY OF HER”
A. Why did he emphasize this? 3 Occasions:
1. She sat at His feet and listened to the Word (Luke 10:38–42);
2. she came to His feet in sorrow after the death of Lazarus (John 11:28–32);
3. she worshiped at His feet when she anointed Him with the ointment (John 12:1ff).
B. Mary was a deeply spiritual woman
C. She found at His feet her blessing, she brought to His feet her burdens, and she gave at His feet her best
II. WHAT DO WE FIND IN THE SCRIPTURE CONCERNING MEMORIAL?
A. God remembers what we do on earth
1. Acts. 10:4 “Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked. The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God.”
B. We should remember the things they did
1. 1 Ts. 3:6 “But Timothy has just now come to us from you and has brought good news about your faith and love. He has told us that you always have pleasant memories of us and that you long to see us, just as we also long to see you.”
C. Remind us of the things of God
1. 2 Pet 1:13 “I think it is right to refresh your memory as long as I live in the tent of this body,”
D. The righteous have to be remembered
1. Prov 10:17 “The memory of the righteous will be a blessing, but the name of the wicked will rot.”
E. Sometimes an object is placed as a reminder
1. Zac 6:14 “The crown will be given to Heldai, Tobijah, Jedaiah and Hen son of Zephaniah as a memorial in the temple of the LORD.”
F. The memory should perpetuated: to make something or somebody be remembered
1. Ps. 45:17 “I will perpetuate your memory through all generations; therefore the nations will praise you for ever and ever.”
2. Ester 9:8 “These days should be remembered and observed in every generation by every family, and in every province and in every city. And these days of Purim should never cease to be celebrated by the Jews, nor should the memory of them die out among their descendants.”
III. HOW SHOULD WE BEHAVE UNTO THESE MEMORIALS?
A. Holding on to their memory
B. Not forgetting their love
C. Hve the desire to follow their example
D. Continue with their goal
E. Setting our eyes on the Author and Finisher of our Faith
F. Set our feet where Jesus is seated at