Summary: The phrase, "Chief Cornerstone," illustrates for us Jesus position as Head of the church.
Title: IN REMEMBERANCE OF HIM: THE CHIEF CORNERSTONE
1.) Matt. 16:18 I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.
2.) God has a plan of ultimate completion for his universe; and Jesus is the focal point of that plan.
SUPPLIMENTAL BIBLICAL TEXT:
Ps. 118:22 The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone;
1Pet. 2:4-6 As you come to him, the living Stone —rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him — For in Scripture it says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen & precious corner stone, & the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame
Matt. 21:42 Jesus said to them, “Have you never read in the Scriptures: “ ‘The stone the builders rejected has become the capstone ; the Lord has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes’ ?
Gen. 49:24 But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,
Isa. 28:16 So this is what the Sovereign LORD says: “See, I lay a stone in Zion, a tested stone, a precious cornerstone for a sure foundation; the one who trusts will never be dismayed.
I. THE PRACTICE OF PLACING A “CORNER STONE”
A. Modern: Decorative plaque at ground level: a symbol of completion
1. Last stone to be placed; also as a symbol of completion
2. Placed at very top i.e. “Capstone” (NIV)
3. Often this stone was of different material than the rest
4. “The stone the builders rejected: simply means:
a. Christ, the stone was rejected because he was different
b. he didn’t fit their preconceptions or specifications
II. THE SIGNIFANCE OF THE TITLE
A. First, Jesus completes God’s workings in our lives
1. Too often we worry about our future
2. APP: Rest in the fact that God can and will take care of you
3. Phil. 1:6 He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
B. Second, God may want to suprise you with His methods
1. APPLICATION: Some people don’t like suprises
a. Homemakers: Unexpected company: “what a pleasent suprise...” (NOT!)
b. Student: “Today, we will have a Pop Quiz”
c. Non-Pentecostals: [tongues & interptetation]
2. Suprises can be fun!
a. “Suprise, we’re going out to eat!”
b. “Suprise, you figured youyr taxes wrong & get a refund”
c. “Suprise, I’m going to heal your sickness this very instant”
3. Don’t waste energy trying to figure out God’s “How”:
a. Let HIm suprise you. . .and enjoy it
b. I would never guessed how he would have given me a wife
c. I would never guessed how he would save my brother
4. Let God suprise you!
III. THE RELATIONSHIP OF INDIVIDUALS TO THE WHOLE
A. Quote: “Slowly, through all the universe the temple of God is being built. And whenever, in any place, a soul by freewilled obedience, catches the fire of God’s likeness, it is set into the growing walls, a living stone.” Phillips Broooks.
B. Eph. 2:19-20 Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household, 20 built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone.
1. Paul pictured Christ as the central point of a building; we are all individual parts of.
2. APPLICATION: Like it or not, if you claim the church, you claim each other.
IV. CHURCH MEMBERSHIP DEFINED
A. Saved = membership in the church Jesus is building.
1. The church is a body, organism, community, fellowship
2. Commonly called the “Invisable Church”
B. What about membership in the “Visable Church” ?
1. If I’m a member of The Church, why do I need local member.?
* spiritual progress, growth , maturity
2. Why must the church have “Formal Membership?”
* Accountibility, responsibility, Identification
3. Does the Bible say I must be a member of a local church?
* No. Not in so many words. But, Commitment is certainly a Biblical Concept
4. Can I minister w/o formally being a member?
* Yes, (but with limitations). i.e. officers, etc.
5. Are their requirements for Membership beside being saved?
6. Is that a double standard?
* No. Local Church Membership does not equal Salvation
1.) Honor Jesus Christ as the Corner stone of the Church by. . .
a. becoming a block in his building (get Saved)
b. Honoring His command (Water Baptism, Baptism in the Holy Spirit, Church Membership.)