Summary: Jesus came to seek and save the lost as our Savior and Redeemer. He also came to display and restore the image of God in the world.
1. [Ray Vander Laan tells the following story – Soldier asked the lost rabbi: Who are you and what are you doing here? He offered the soldier twice his pay if he would stand by his door and ask that question each morning.
a. Names are important to many in the world – Benoni/Benjamin
b. We have identity and try to live up to it
2. One answer to the soldier’s question is you were created in the image of God – Genesis 1.26-17
a. “Image” = representation; display
b. God’s intention – Man would display God in the world by his presence; image
[You were made by God for God
c. Problem of sin – image is marred/distorted [Blurry picture of Jerusalem
3. When Jesus came into the world we have a clearer picture of God – Colossians 1.13-20
I. To Know Jesus is to Know God
[The More we study the Gospels, we not only learn about Jesus, we more clearly see and understand God
A. Image of God – Putting God on Display
1. Idols – images which represent the character of the Gods depicted
[Caesar (A man who became a god) – Matthew 22.15-22
• Wreath = Deity (the undefeated god)
• Scepter in Left Hand = “all authority in heaven and on earth”
• Robe at Waist and draped over Arm =Jupiter made him Son of Jupiter
• Right Foot steps out = Only one to lead into future
• Left Foot up off of ground = rooted in the past of forefathers
[Ba’al – demanded sacrifice of children for crops, etc.
[Athena – Power (in armor) and rational human ability to reveal truth (situational ethics) often depicted with an owl
2. Compare with Jesus and His representation of God – John 14.7-9
7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.” 8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?
• Instead of the man who became a god; He is the God who became Man
• Instead of demanding the sacrifice of sons – He sacrificed HIS Son
B. What Do We Learn about God from Jesus?
1. Creator and Sustainer – 1.16-17
• Physical Realm
• Spiritual Realm
• Even Rulers of the world – Jeremiah 27.5-7
5 “It is I who by my great power and my outstretched arm have made the earth, with the men and animals that are on the earth, and I give it to whomever it seems right to me. 6 Now I have given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon, my servant, and I have given him also the beasts of the field to serve him. 7 All the nations shall serve him and his son and his grandson, until the time of his own land comes. Then many nations and great kings shall make him their slave.
2. Savior – 1.19-20
3. So, look to Jesus if you want to know about God:
• Compassion and Love – Matthew 9.36 36 When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.
• Holy, Just, and Fair – 1 John 3.5 5 You know that he appeared in order to take away sins, and in him there is no sin.
• Forgiving – Luke 23.34 34 And Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.” And they cast lots to divide his garments.
[He Can’t Remember She was crazy. Everyone knew it because she had the habit of talking to herself in public and it was known that she believed she even talked to Jesus - and was spoken back to. A new preacher came to town and, hearing of the crazy woman, thought that he might be able to make her face reality.
One day, as he saw her walking down the street he spoke to her and eventually got around to asking, "I hear you talk to Jesus."
"Yes," she replied. "Jesus and I talk for just hours and hours."
"Would you do me a favor?" the minister began. "Could you ask Him something for me?"
"Why of course," the old woman responded.
"Would you ask Jesus what the last sin was that I confessed to Him?"
"Certainly," she replied.
The next day, the preacher saw the crazy woman just down the street and so he approached her asked, "Well, did you talk to Jesus last night?"