Summary: God calls His people to trust Him, to live carefully, to be watchful, and to pray in troubled times.
IN TIMES LIKE THESE
Big Idea: God calls His people to trust Him, to live carefully, to be watchful, and to pray in troubled times.
• War – Iraq , North Korea, last year India and Pakistan
• Drought – US, Africa, North Korea, parts of China
• Starvation – Africa, North Korea
• Terrorist threats – US, Europe, Philippines, Indonesia
• Uncertain economic times – levy’s, wage cuts, lay-offs, higher taxes, more pressure on the job
• Now Atypical pneumonia
How is your peace?
All of these uncertainties can lead to a shaking of our inner peace.
What is happening in your house?
• ‘fung shui’ letting the wind and the water flow to bring wealth and security
PEOPLE ARE LOOKING FOR SOME ASSURANCE, SOME PEACE OF MIND THAT THEY CAN HOLD ON TO
• When people feel ‘out of control’
• they get angry easily,
• they do things so they can feel in control – like fire the helper
PEACE OF MIND IS SHAKEN – THESE ARE
Is your peace shaken?
What do we do?
Jesus had something to say to his disciples about the uncertain and troubling times that would come to them,
it can apply to us now.
1. Security – in the temple. It guarantees the presence and protection of God
Jesus says NO! The temple will be destroyed.
Where is our security? In the temple or the God of the temple
Ill. Jesus in the boat, “Don’t you care!?”
2. His followers would experience:
• Deceivers declaring to be ‘the christ’
WATCH OUT! (VS 8)
• Fearful events and great signs
Before these happen:
You will witnesses of me.
Make up your mind not to worry before hand how you will defend yourself. I will give you wisdom and the right words so NONE of your enemies will be able to resist or contradict! (VS 14)
By standing firm you will gain life. (VS 19)
3. When the times of the Gentiles is complete – where we are now, in the times of the Gentiles – then these signs:
• Sun, moon and stars
• Because of the roar & furry of the sea - people will be afraid and won’t know what to do
• People will faint with fear
When these things begin to happen –
Stand up and lift up your heads (NIV)
Look UP, and hold you heads high (NCV)
Because the time when God will free you is near!
HOW DO WE ‘stand up and lift up our heads’?
• Do what is right
• Hold onto your faith – How? What does this mean?
• Sometimes FEAR overwhelms me
(VS) 34 Bro. D
1. Be careful! Don’t be distracted!
• Don’t spend your time feasting!
• Don’t be too busy with worldly things.
Don’t worry about what you will eat, or drink or wear!
Seek first the kingdom!
Ephesians 5:15ff Wise living
Ill. Coup d’état years – fearful and selfish, panic buying.
If you do that you won’t be able to think straight!
And when the day comes you won’t be ready!
2. Be ready – all the time! (NCV) (VS 36)
Be always on the watch! (NIV)
2 Peter 3:11b – What kind of people ought we to be?
We ought to LIVE HOLY AND GODLY LIVES!
As we look forward to the day of God . . . that day will bring destruction of everything. BUT in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the HOME OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.
• That you may be able to escape all that is about to happen,
• And that you my be able to stand before the Son of Man
Stand before Him – in His presence!
1 Peter 4:7 – The end of all things is near.
THEREFORE be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray. (NIV)
So think clearly and control yourselves so you will be able to pray. (NCV)
And now my the Lord of peace HIMSELF give you peace
at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you. 2 Thess. 3:16