Summary: In difficult times we must: 1- Count the blessings 2- Consider the source 3- Continue the life
INTRO.- ILL.- 22 year-old pop singer Britney Spears got married again for the second time in nine months. The first marriage lasted only about 55 hours. Someone calculated that if she kept up this pace by the time she is 50 she will be married some 39 times. SHE GOT MARRIED AGAIN. I say, so what? It’s no big deal. Not to most of us.
ILL.- Actor Billy Bob Thornton and his girlfriend announced last Wednesday that she has given birth to a baby girl. So what?
ILL.- On Sept. 14th, 2004, Oprah Winfrey gave away 276 brand new G-6 Pontiac cars on her TV show. Of course, billionairess Oprah didn’t actually give these cars away. That is, she didn’t pay for these cars. Pontiac did this as an advertising stunt. And here’s the after effect. Each of those 276 people will pay about $7000 in taxes for those cars…still, a bargain by most people’s standards. BUT NOT IF YOU DON’T HAVE $7000 DOLLARS! But again, I say, so what?
ILL.- TV’s CBS network got the bill last Wednesday for Janet Jackson’s eye-catching flash dance during the Super Bowl halftime show: a record $550,000. So what? I think they should get fined for a lot more stuff.
Most average American citizens are not worried about new cars, pop singers getting married, what TV networks do or don’t do, actors and actresses having babies, they are simply concerned about being able to live, pay bills (or make ends meet), raise their kids and survive this so-called rat race.
ILL.- Someone came up with the “Top 10 Signs of Job Burnout“
10. You’re so tired, you now answer the phone with "Leave me alone!"
9. Your friends call to ask how you’ve been, and you immediately scream, "Stop asking me all these questions!"
8. Your garbage can IS your "Inbox"!
7. You wake up to discover your house is on fire, but go back to sleep because you just don’t care.
6. You consider a 40-hour week a vacation.
5. Visions of the upcoming weekend help you make it through Monday.
4. You don’t set your alarm anymore because you know your pager will go off before your alarm does.
3. You leave for a party and instinctively bring your ID badge.
2. Your Day Timer/Work Planner exploded a week ago.
And the NUMBER ONE sign that you are burned out because of work:
1. You think about how relaxing it would be if you were in jail right now.
I think some people may feel this way about all of life because life is so stressful.
II Tim. 3:1 Amplified “BUT UNDERSTAND this, that in the last days will come (set in) perilous times of great stress and trouble [hard to deal with and hard to bear].”
I think most people would agree that life is a tough course. As we get older we think that things should get better, but it doesn’t always work that way.
When the kids are grown and gone everything should be better. WRONG! That’s wishful thinking. No matter where we are in life there will always be a certain amount of stress and/or trouble. It’s just that we experience different types of stress at different stages in our lives.