Summary: I. But I Can’t Praise II. The Reason For Praise III. How To Praise God
- In Times Like These We Need a Savior
- In Times Like These We Need an Anchor
- In Times Like These We Need The Bible
Some more words:
- In Times Like These We Need Prayer
- In Times Like These We Need Praise
I. But I Can’t Praise
- Joe Biden "It’s patriotic to pay more taxes"
- The Treasury has pledged bail out Fannie and Freddie up to $200 billion
- Fanny & Freddie -Federal National Mortgage Association (FNMA) and the Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (FHLMC)
- AIG (American International Group) takeover
- Bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers
- Oil Prices rising close to $100 a barrel
- In an effort to turn around a global credit crisis and near-panic on Wall Street, the US Federal Reserve is pumping billions of dollars into financial markets in the US and abroad.
- President working hard on economic turmoil
- CNN- Wall Street losing faith in banks
- Unemployment rate hits 7.3% Illinois
- Minnesota dropped 3100 jobs
- RI rates hits 8.5%
- Massachusetts rose 5.3%
- UK unemployment up 80,000
- Youth unemployment in S. Africa among the highest in the world
- We want togive and say I GIVE UP
James 5:1-8 - The Lord is coming soon -- The Rich howl
- Now is the time to simplify your life, scale down your lifestyle, and get out of debt.
James 4:8-10 - The Humble lifted up
Fear Is Rampant
Note Ps 34 title takes place in 1 Sam 21:10-22:1
- v. 4 Need to be delivered from fears
- v. 6 Troubles building up
- v. 12 I want just a good life
Deliverance From Fear
- v. 4 - I sought the Lord
How? — Through Praise - v.1
The First Step in seeking the Lord is Praise
- Until we realize the true purpose in life, which is to worship Him and enjoy Him forever, we’ll always be floundering.
- We’ll always be frustrated because worship is the central purpose of life!
II. The Reason For Praise
1. Praise Glorifies Him
- Paul at Athens saw an alter to the unknown god
Acts 17:28 KJV - For in him we live, and move, and have our being.
- v. 2 the "humble" shall hear thereof and be glad
- TLB ... all who are discouraged
- Net ... the oppressed
- Century ... the poor
- Readers ... hurting
- NIV ...afflicted
2. My Faith Will Be Strengthened
v. 3 Magnify means to make Him the big thing, the focus of our eyes
- Problems look like mountains or rivers
- Song “Got any rivers you think are uncrossable”
- It’s not the problems but how big our Lord is
- Praise will strengthen and energize your faith
- Remember it is not great faith but a great God
- Praise is just faith turned inside out
- Every prayer should begin and end with Praise
- “Our Father, which art in heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.”
- That’s praise!
- And how does it end?
- “Thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever”.
- That’s praise!
3. My Fear Will Disappear
- We need victory
- Praise is the way peace & joy
v. 4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
Last week of Aug./08
- Matthew Edwards, 33, and Robin Gibson, 27
- The couple, both experienced outdoors-people, had been hiking a portion of the Pacific Crest Trail when they took a wrong turn, becoming stuck on an 18-inch ledge
- They contacted law enforcement officials Wednesday evening via cell phone after they lost their gear, tent and waterproof clothing
- Their cell phone battery dying, calls have been limited to short check-ins
- They were in a panic really afraid and scared.
- Trapped 8,000’ at Spier Point in the North Cascades WA
- Friday’s rescue capped what has been a harrowing week for hikers in the region, with unseasonal rain and cooler-than-normal temperatures that made it feel more like October than late August
- Now cold and wet
- They spent nearly two days on an 18-inch ledge on the mountain unable to climb up or down
- Rescue workers tried unsuccessfully to reach them by air, fog made them almost invisible and violent weather forced them to turn back.
- They were coxed & instructed to reach a glacier above them
- A team of 3 hiked 10 miles to help them down 2000 ft. below cloud cover to be picked up by Naval helicopter
- Follow the instructions and you will be delivered
4. I Will Be Blessed
- 8 O taste and see that the LORD is good