Summary: Because we are God’s elect, we have an impenetrable defense and we are secure in Christ. We cannot be separated from God’s love. This helps us to truly understand what Grace means.
1. Separating Siamese Twins
“Formerly Conjoined Twins See Each Other
By KAREN MATTHEWS, Associated Press Writer
NEW YORK - Six days after a delicate 17-hour operation that separated their joined heads, 2-year-old twins Carl and Clarence Aguirre were allowed to emerge from sedation Tuesday, waking up enough to see each other directly for the first time.
The momentous event was mostly lost on the Aguirre boys, who seemed to prefer looking at a television and their mother, only occasionally glancing at each other while drifting in and out of sleep...
"...Doctors said they were extremely pleased by the progress of the twins from the Philippines.”
2. Couples who are married for years separate and divorce…
3. Rifts in families…
4. Every relationship on earth is potentially vulnerable….
• Societies change. Did you know that 30 years ago there was only one Muslim mosque in the United States, & that today there are over 3,000 mosques? And that new mosques are being built here at the average of one a week?
• Gay marriage – next election will be key
5. But there is one relationship that is NOT up for grabs, one that is secure: the elect believer’s relationship with God.
• One definition of hell is to be separated from God’s love forever.
• Is the true Christian in danger of this happening? Our text today shouts out, “No.”
6. Many of our brothers and sisters in Christ do not believe that a Christian is secure. Of course these same people reject the doctrine of election, because once you accept election the security of the believer is a natural outflow of election.
7. But I am convinced that election IS taught in Scripture, which is why Paul brings up the security of the believer. This makes the point: security does flow from election..
8. Many people have a hard time with GRACE because they cannot understand how Christians can become godly without being on probation and constantly under the thumb of fear. They do not comprehend the power of GRACE.
Main Idea: Because we are God’s elect, we have an impenetrable defense and we are secure in Christ. We cannot be separated from God’s love. This helps us to truly understand what Grace means.
I. Bringing A Charge Against Us Is Like Trying to Sue God (33)
1. Note: many people think they are saved, but are not; this applies only to the truly elect!
2 Peter 1:10, “Therefore, my brothers, be all the more eager to make your calling and election sure. For if you do these things, you will never fall...”
2. Accusations are sometimes unwarranted:
• John was driving home late one night when he picked up a hitchhiker. As they rode along, he began to be suspicious of his passenger. John checked to see if his wallet was safe in the pocket of his coat that was on the seat between them, but it wasn’t there! So he slammed on the brakes, ordered the hitchhiker out, and said, "Hand over the wallet immediately!" The frightened hitchhiker handed over a billfold, and John drove off. When he arrived home, he started to tell his wife about the experience, but she interrupted him, saying, "Before I forget, John, do you know that you left your wallet at home this morning?"
• Early believers were considered atheists because they had no images they would worship; they were accused of being cannibals because of a misunderstanding of Communion…now we are accused of being mindless, narrow, or stubborn, simply because the idea of having convictions is lost to modern society…
• Sometimes legalistic Christians are the worst accusers. They are ready to pounce upon any flaw or failure and to rub it in to make sure you are kept humble and in line.
But many accusations made against us can be true; we all mess up. Yet the good news is that justice has been served…in Christianity, God does not just forgive sins. In His justice, He sees to it that sins are given their due penatly…
• But for us, it is all about grace! When you understand that God has chosen you before the world was founded, called you and saved you, and that He guarantees your destiny….and you do nothing…nothing…that’s GRACE.
• Control freaks cannot handle this. They do not understand how grace works because grace is not part of their character…
• When you raise kids, little kids should not be given many choices or asked their opinions very frequently; they need to obey to obey.
• As the kids get older, you inquire, give choices, compromise, and negotiate.
• As they approach adulthood, the only influence you have comes from relationship
• God treats us as mature; He influences us BY RELATIONSHIP. He writes His Law on our hearts so that we WANT to follow Him.