Summary: First in an eight part series on the attributes of God.
Actual warning labels from products
• Sign on the side of a massage chair: "Do not use massage chair without clothing."
• "Do not use snow blower on the roof."
• "Do not allow children to play in the dishwasher."
• A warning on an electric router made for carpenters: "This product not intended for use as a dental drill."
• On a baby stroller: "Remove child before folding."
• On a bottle of prescription sleeping pills: "Warning: May cause drowsiness."
• A sticker on a toilet at a public facility in Ann Arbor, Michigan: "Recycled flush water unsafe for drinking."
• An "Aim-n-Flame" fireplace lighter cautions: "Do not use near fire, flame, or sparks."
• On a cartridge for a laser printer: "Do not eat toner."
• On a household iron warns: "Never iron clothes while they are being worn."
• On a blanket from Taiwan: "Not to be used as protection from a tornado"
• On a Taiwanese shampoo bottle: "Use repeatedly for severe damage"
• On a hairdryer: "Do not use while sleeping"
• On a bag of corn chips: "You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details inside."
• On a bar of Dial soap: "Directions: Use like regular soap."
• On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding: "Product will be hot after heating"
• On a Korean kitchen knife: Warning: Keep out of children"
• On a string of Chinese-made Christmas lights: "For indoor or outdoor use only"
• On a Superman Halloween Costume: "This costume will not enable your children to fly"
Indebted to Chip Ingram and his book by the same title.
A.W. Tozer in Knowledge of the Holy:
What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us. The history of mankind will probably show that no people has ever risen above its religion, and man’s spiritual history will positively demonstrate that no religion has ever been greater that its idea of God. Worship is pure or base as the worshipper entertains high or low thoughts of God. For this reason the gravest question before the Church is always God Himself, as the most portentous fact about any man is not what he at a given time may say or do, but what he in his deep heart conceives God to be like. We tend by a secret law of the soul to move toward our mental image of God.
Seeing God with 20/20 vision:
Illustration: LASIK surgery for my eyes. We need spiritual LASIK
1. God is not like us
"To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One.
Isaiah 40:25 (NIV)
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55:8,9 (NIV)
Oh, the depth of the riches of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable his judgments, and his paths beyond tracing out! "Who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has been his counselor?" "Who has ever given to God, that God should repay him?" For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be the glory forever! Amen.
Romans 11:33-36 (NIV)
2. Left to ourselves, we tend to reduce God to manageable terms