Summary: Sermon 3 of the series. In sermon one, we saw that Israel had just received a new leader. In sermon 2, they are about to inherit a new land. Now we look at something even greater ... a new LIFE! What tremendous pictures of the believer’s life in Christ we
THE BOOK OF JOSHUA
(Introduction: Part C)
Calvary Baptist Church
August 3, 2003
The New Life
Warren Wiersbe reminds us that in the book of Joshua, the children of Israel will receive:
1) A New Leader - This was the Title of our first message of the series.
2) A New Land - This is the title of our last message in the series.
We saw four lands in Israel’s History:
1. Egypt - the land of the sinner, the lost person. A place of bondage and slavery.
2. Wilderness - the land of the believer that has not yielded to the Lordship of Christ.
3. Canaan - the land of rest and fellowship. The picture of the believer in communion with his God.
4. Babylon - the believer who persists in his disobedience and sin must be dealt with.
3) A New Life - Today’s message!
NOTE: The message we preach today is not directly from Joshua, but it is vital to the understanding of Joshua.
* = Turn to this passage.
Note What is Behind:
• Joseph dies in 1804 B.C.
• The Hyksos Kings arise in Egypt (That knew not Joseph) in 1730 B.C.
• Slavery is imposed.
• The Exodus begins in 1446 B.C.
• So Israel has been in bondage for nearly 300 years in Egypt!
• Due to disobedience, a trip that could have been completed in weeks, takes 40 years.
• Can you imagine 40 years on the road.
No more will Israel face the task master. No more will they wander in the wilderness.
Note What Has Begun (Struggles)
• Some have held the View That Canaan Represents Heaven.
• Many song writers have equated the Israelites crossing into Canaan with the Believer entering Heaven.
1) Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
“I looked over Jordan and what do I see, coming for to carry me home.”
2) I Am Bound for the Promised Land
On Jordan’s stormy banks I stand and cast a wishful eye,
To Canaan’s fair and happy land, where my possessions lie.
• I fear that many music writers have spent more time in music lessons than in Bible study.
ILLUS: “In 1492, the Pilgrims Sailed the Ocean Blue.” Song at WTBI
• But there are four things in Jordan that cannot be in Heaven. Write these in your Bible.
• No, Canaan is not Heaven.
• Canaan Represents The Christian Life!
• NOTE: Four things about the Christian Life.
• NOTE: Much of the following preaching will come from the book of Hebrews.
I. The Christian Life is a Rest
Hebrews 4:3 For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.
• There are four rests in the Bible, and we must not confuse them.
A. There is God’s rest after Creation. (Gen. 2:2)
Genesis 2:2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.
B. There is the Salvation Rest that We Have In Christ (Heb. 4:1)
Hebrews 4:1 Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.
Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.