Summary: While I am thankful that the world at large recognizes the birth of Christ there are many "Holiday Church attendee's" that leave Christ in the crib. He no longer is in the crib nor on the cross. He has victoriously overcome death hell and the grave.
Is Christ still in the Manger?
Luke 2:1 And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed.
Luke 2:2 (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.)
Luke 2:3 And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city.
Luke 2:4 And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:)
Luke 2:5 To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child.
Luke 2:6 And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered.
Luke 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
Introduction: We need to understand that the Birth of Christ is an important event for the world. Without the birth of Christ there’s no sinless sacrifice for our sins. Without the birth of Christ we would all be condemned to hell!!!! I also want to say how thankful I am that at this time of year the world acknowledges the Birth of Christ. However, is that the end of the story? Is that all there is in the story of Christ?
I. Christ was indeed a babe in the manger but, he was so much more!!!! Matthew 1:18-23
A. Born of a virgin
B. Born without sin
C. Born to die
II. Christ purpose in his birth
A. Did this happen to give everyone a feel good story?
1) “The underdog who came from the depths of poverty and overcame being born in a “Barn” and using a “feed trough” for a crib. There’s more to the Christmas story than an inn keeper turning away a pregnant lady and her husband as she is preparing for birth.
B. He literally was born to die!!!
1) John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
2) 1Pet 1:19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
3) Heb 9:14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
4) 1John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
5) Rev 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,
III. Is Jesus Still in the manger?
A. The answer is a resounding NOOOO!!!!
1) He grew into a young man
Luke 2:40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him. Luke 2:41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover. Luke 2:42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast. Luke 2:43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it. Luke 2:44 But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance. Luke 2:45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him. Luke 2:46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions. Luke 2:47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers. Luke 2:48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing. Luke 2:49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business? Luke 2:50 And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them. Luke 2:51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart. Luke 2:52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.