Summary: Jesus called himself the Son of Man. This title isn't about Jesus humanity. It's about His divinity as described in Daniel 7. Consider recent discoveries of Lazarus tomb which reads
Believe in him of not, Jesus Christ is the most famous man in human history. The story of his death, burial, and resurrection has nearly shaped the entire landscape of human history. Our years our formed around his birth and life on earth. We hold a holiday celebrating his birth and even one celebrating his resurrection from the dead. The book that tells his story, “the Bible,” is the most published book in history. It has been published 20,000 more times than the next closest book, Homer’s the Iliad . Countless hospitals, streets, buildings and organizations have been created in his name.
Whether you accept Jesus as God or not, there is no debate that he has shaped and formed society as we know it today. Despite much of the overwhelming support for Christ’s existence, many still doubt if he really was who he claimed to be. Some will attempt to shoot holes in the arguments of Christianity claiming that Jesus was only a wise man who never claimed to be God. Others will say that Jesus was only a prophet and was never supposed to be the Messiah. Some even claim that Christ never walked the earth and his existence is in question.
The facts are that Jesus did walk the earth, and that he is Lord of humanity. When Jesus was asked if he claimed to be God by the courts before crucifixion, he answered, “I am [God]”. He also says that, “I [Jesus] am the way, the truth and the life.” If we let Jesus speak for himself, he tells us that he believes he is God, and the only God. If we assess Jesus’ own words he undeniably tells us who he is and what his mission is. Knowing that, we all have a choice: we can write him off as a liar or crazy, or we can worship him as God.
We have heard it said that, ‘all religions lead to the same path. There are just different ways of going down that path.’ The reality is that most major religions would disagree with that idea. They would all claim that their religion is correct and it is nothing like another. For instance, a Muslim does not believe that a Mormon believes the same thing as they do. Jesus would also agree with the fact that all religions are not the same, saying that, “no one comes to the Father except through me.” It would be a nice, neat argument if we could surmise that every religion is essentially the same, but that idea simply does not make factual sense.
“I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”
Luke 22: 68 - 71
(Jesus on trial before Pontius Pilate and Herod) “If you are the Messiah,” they said, “tell us.”
Jesus answered, “If I tell you, you will not believe me, and if I asked you, you would not answer. But from now on, the Son of Man will be seated at the right hand of the mighty God.”
They all asked, “Are you then the Son of God?”
He replied, “You say that I am.”
Then they said, “Why do we need any more testimony? We have heard it from his own lips.”
1. What does it mean to you when Jesus says that he is the way, the truth and the life?
2. When Jesus says, ‘no one comes through the Father except through me’, what does he mean by that?
3. There is no debating that Jesus thought he was God. Why are Jesus proclamations about his divinity and the idea that ‘all religions are the same’ incompatible with each other?
4. Based on Jesus proclamations to be the Son of God, we can surmise three possible conclusions. First we can surmise that Jesus lied and he is not God. Second, we can say that Jesus said he was God but is crazy or mentally unstable. Or third, that Jesus is God as he claimed. Which position do you take and why? Can you think of someone who would disagree? What would you say to them to convince them otherwise?
5. The Bible says that there is only one God. (Isaiah 45, John 17:3). Why do you think so many claim there are multiple gods? What are reasons why people may want to claim there are multiple gods? How are the truth’s of the Bible better answers than claims of multiple gods (or multiple ways to God)?
• Pray for those who disagree with the truths of the Bible, based on the claim that all religions lead to the same path.
• Pray for wisdom in dealing with friends/family who disagree with you.
• Pray that those who do not know Jesus may come to know him.