Summary: This is the first of four sermons presented to congregations that have come out of a Saturday Sabbath background
Sabbath Discussion - 1
• This series of four sermons was presented to congregations that have come out of a Saturday Sabbath background
• There is also a chart which accompanies these sermons and can be obtained by sending an email to email@example.com
What does the word Sabbath mean? Rest
• In bible usage what is the word “rest” contrasted with? Work
• This is how the Bible starts out, God working – creating the physical order
• For six days God worked then He rested and hallowed the seventh day
• What did this rest signify? Did God need a rest; was He worn out from all His work?
• No! All of creation including man was in perfect harmony with God, there was peace on earth
• So in Eden we see God’s ideal relationship with man. Adam and Eve enjoyed an intimate friendship with God
• There were no rituals, ceremonies or religion – just a simple loving relationship between God and the people he created
• They walked daily in the garden with God. He was with them in a face to face relationship
• The world was truly at rest and peace with God
• So what we have established is that “rest” in God’s terminology means “to be in intimate, loving relationship with his creation”
How long did this rest last? Don’t know, but have to assume it lasted more than one day
• So this “hallowed” period of rest continued on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, etc until this rest was interrupted
• What interrupted this rest? Sin
• So what did God have to start doing again? Working
• Why? To restore his relationship with mankind
• He had to institute Plan “B” which was what? Salvation through faith in Jesus Christ
• John 4:34 Jesus said to them, “My food is to do the will of Him who sent Me, and to finish His work.
• What exactly is that work to achieve?
• John 6:28-29 Then they said to Him, “What shall we do, that we may work the works of God?”29 Jesus answered and said to them, “This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent.”
• John 17:4 “I have glorified You on the earth. I have finished the work which You have given Me to do.
• And what was Jesus’ final statement at the cross –“ It is finished”(John 19:30)
• So the second thing we establish is that “work” in God’s terminology is about His work in restoring relationship with His creation
• So we have established two important principles in understanding the Sabbath question
• First, “rest” in God’s terminology means “to be in intimate, loving relationship with his creation”
• Second, “work” in God’s terminology is about His work in restoring relationship with His creation
No further mention of the Sabbath until Moses
• Now we don’t hear any further mention of the Sabbath until the time of Moses, but we do get a few indications of God’s intentions of Plan “B”
Adam and Eve
• clothed with animal skins, Cain and Abel bringing their offerings, both signifying blood had to be spilt to accomplish “rest” again
Time of Noah
• we read about clean and unclean animals
• This is an interesting one. Is this speaking about a health issue or is it speaking about a higher plan God has in store for mankind?
• When you think of the NT what story is associated with clean/unclean animals? Peter’s dream about the sheet full of unclean animals
• What did those unclean animals represent? Gentiles
• So who do you think clean animals represent? Israelites
• Not surprising then at Sinai the Israelites were told to eat only clean foods
• So I would suggest it is not a health issue as that would be a contradiction of Gen 9:3 where God the Creator clearly spells out to his creation that every moving thing shall be meat for you
• Genesis 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
• So Clean and Unclean in this sense is an indication of God’s plan to save (Salvation in the Ark) both clean and unclean, both Jews and Gentiles
• That’s why the Bible is divided into two halves, The times of the Israelites, (OT, MC) and the Times of the Gentiles (NT, NC)
Tower of Babel
• God uses Tongues at this time to divide people, but on the Day of Pentecost tongues are used to signify the start of the Times of the Gentiles and to be used as a gift to bring people together to salvation
• Galatians 3:26-29 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.