Summary: We do not need to be afraid of death
- Proverbs 13:12 “Hope deferred makes the heart sick.”
I. King David’s view of death
- David’s men saw the distress in him
- They were afraid to approach him with the news of the death of his son
- Once David new his son had passed his focus changed from the moment to the future
II. The Apostle Paul’s View of Death
- That foundation is this
A) We are to be ready (v.6)
- John 3:3 Unless a man be born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God
B) Having Done what God has called us to do (v.7)
- Our ultimate purpose is not just to live, eat, pay taxes and die.
- Having purpose also give us hope for the future
- God’s interest in us quality not quantity
- It is the how, not the how long
- So long as God is sovereign no one’s life is cut short
- Will you die today, tomorrow, or later in life?
- We do not know
- But we have a need to be ready
C) We need to be ready now looking at what awaits us in heaven (v.8)
- Heb 11:8 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going.
- Heb 11:9 By faith he went to live in the land of promise, as in a foreign land, living in tents with Isaac and Jacob, heirs with him of the same promise.
- Heb 11:10 For he was looking forward to the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God.
III. How we are to view our own death
- This will be a quick meeting
- This will be a heavenly meeting
- This will be an eternal meeting
- If we are born again John 3:3
- We will meet our loved ones who are also born again
- We will meet our children, our parents, our friends
- V. 18
- Comfort provides hope, peace, and joy
- God’s word provide that comfort of hope, peace and joy
- Hope is a sure thing not just a guess
- Hope is not a bet or gamble
- Hope in scripture means we can know it will happen
- There is no chance of failure
- Our future can be 100% secure
- Just as they brought that boy school work that encouraged him, I bring you this message to give you the hope of the future as well.
- Ralph before he went to be with the Lord and also now as he is in heaven did and does want his Lord to be glorified in his passing.
- While this is a time of mourning it is also a time to know that Ralph is with our Lord
- Illustration of ship passing over the horizon