Summary: The Overall Message And Challenge Of Isaiah Is For You To “Trust In The Holy One Of Israel For Salvation!”
1. Let Us Continue Series Of Study On Isaiah
- Looked At “Isaiah - The Prophet” - Learned A Lot From His Name, Life & Character
- Tonight, Look At “Isaiah - The Message” - An Overview And Introduction To The Entire Book
- IE: Look At The “Big Picture” - Painting At The Art Gallery At BJU - Very Large Masterpieces - Stand Back To Enjoy The Full Picture - This Is What We Will Do With Isaiah Tonight, Look At His Overall & Overriding Message & Challenge To You And Me - Then, You Get Closer To See The Thousands Of Fine, Individual Brush-Marks That Make Up The Masterpiece, Individual Messages & Challenges
2. In The Message Of Isaiah, Want To Look At:
- What Is The Overall Message & Challenge?
- What Are The Major Themes In The Message?
- What Is The Key That Relates These Themes Together?
- IE: Like All The Different Parts Of A Car - All There, Waiting For Instructions - It Takes A Key To Tie Everything Together, So That It Will Start!
3. The Key To Relating The Themes Of Isaiah’s Message Is:
- The Name Of God - “The Holy One Of Israel”
- Isaiah Uses 25 Times In Book, Throughout It! Isaiah Was Undoubtedly Changed By His Personal Encounter With God In Chapter 6 - He Learned More & Understood More About His Holiness!
4. What Are The Major Themes In The Message?
I. The Trust In The Holy One Of Israel!
- In Isaiah, There Are Two Kinds Of Trust:
- A Misplaced Trust - A Trust In Someone Or Something That Is Not Trustworthy!
- A Proper Trust
- The Uselessness Of A Misplaced Trust:
- 10:20-21 - “And it shall come to pass in that day, that the remnant of Israel, and such as are escaped of the house of Jacob, shall no more again stay upon him that smote them; but shall stay upon the LORD, the Holy One of Israel, in truth. The remnant shall return, even the remnant of Jacob, unto the mighty God.”
- “Stay Upon” - “To Stay Or Lean On Is Expressive Of Faith”
- Where Was Their Trust? - “Upon Him That Smote Them” - Egypt - Once Enslaved Them, Now Looking To Them For Help! - Assyria - Looking / Trusting In Them, Who Destroy Israel & Comes Against Them!
- Where Is Our Trust? - Our Own People?
- 17:7-8 - “At that day shall a man look to his Maker, and his eyes shall have respect to the Holy One of Israel. And he shall not look to the altars, the work of his hands, neither shall respect that which his fingers have made, either the groves, or the images.”
- “Look To” - Trust In / Have Faith Or Confidence In
- Where Was Their Trust? - “The Altars, The Work Of His Hands . . . That Which His Fingers Have Made”
- Where Is Our Trust? - Our Own Productions?
- 31:1 - “Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the LORD!”
- Where Was Their Trust? - “On Horses, And Trust In Chariots, Because They Are Many, And In Horsemen, Because They Are Very Strong.”
- Where Is Our Trust? - Our Own Possessions? - Our Own Power?
* 1 Timothy 6:17 - “Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy;”