Summary: This Psalm reminds us of another significance of worship
IT HAPPENED IN WORSHIP ONE DAY
Text: Ps. 73
1. Usually, when we think of solving problems we think about going to a lawyer, the bank, city dept. of ____________.
2. We don’t think about going to worship.
3. But that is exactly what happens in our Psalm 73
I. THE DILEMMA VV. 1-2
A. Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart.
1. a consideration of God’s goodness, justice
2. also, the conditions for God’s goodness---pure in heart
3. Also, aren’t God’s blessings for Israel only? His chosen?
B. As for me, my feet almost slipped…
1. I almost stumbled, (TLB—I was close to the edge of a cliff)
2. I envied the wealthy and the arrogant.
C. I was in a precarious place spiritually
II. THE EVIDENCE VV. 3-12
A. The wicked are wealthy, powerful, have no fear nor worries
B. They have all their needs met, even have plenty—v. 7— NASV
”their eyes bulge with fatness”
They’re prosperous v. 3 no struggles, v. 4
healthy & strong bodies v. 4;
free from common burdens v 5;
not plagued by human ills, v. 5 proud, violent v. 6
callous hearts? V. 7 (eyes bulge with fatness? NASV)
evil conceits have no limits---imagination runs wild cf. Gen 6
they scoff & speak with malice—intentionally hurting others v 8
they threaten oppression---they bully & intimidate v. 8
they claim ownership of the heavens & earth v. 9 salvation?
Their people drink water in abundance v. 10
They mock God: how can God know? Does the Most High have
knowledge? V. 11
Always carefree—live without concern for social norms v. 12
Increase in wealth v. 12
III. THE CONCLUSION VV 13-16
A. Surely I have kept my heart in vain!
B. I have lived according to God’s way for nothing
1. I could have been blessed living a rotten life.
2. I’ve been plagued and punished all day every day
C. v. 15 If I had said what I thought I would have betrayed your
children---I would have led them astray
1. my understanding was oppressive to me v. 16.
IV. WORSHIP CHANGED IT ALL
A. I was in great spiritual distress until I went to worship God
1. bowing before the Eternal, Sovereign Creator who never
changes, always loves----I realized my error.
2. I realized the fate of the wicked
B. This tells me how vital worship is to us.
1. It is where we get our spiritual tune up and alignment
2. To refocus on eternal things clears our perspective
C. I know the end of the wicked—they walk on slippery ground
V. MY CURRENT STANCE V. 23-28
A. A reconfirmed faith---v. 23
I am always with you, you hold my right hand
You guide me with your counsel—I get truthful information
You are the object of my eye, nothing on earth interests me
My flesh & my heart may fail, but God is my strength
B. God is just and faithful
1. God destroys all who are unfaithful to Him---“surely God is
good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart
2. But me----I want to be in God’s presence
3. he is my refuge and I will tell of His deeds.
1. Just like Peter when he stepped out of the boat and took his eyes off Jesus, we can lose our focus along the way if we focus on anything but Jesus