Summary: In the 24 hours from the betrayal to the burial of Jesus, Jesus fulfilled 29 prophecies in that short amount of time! Tjhe crucifixion matters!
• SLIDE #1
• As we have been closing in on Resurrection Sunday, we have been taking a journey together in the series, It Matters. As Christians we have to be careful not to miss the details of our faith lest we end up not having a basis for why we believe what we believe.
• If we gloss over the details of our faith, when corned by someone who as a question for us to answer as to why we believe the way we do, we will not be able to give them a Biblical answer.
• When one realized the details of one’s faith are important to apprehend, it can cause one to want to engage in deeper study of the Word.
• When we live out a faith lacking an understanding of the details of one’s faith, that faith can be easily shattered.
• When you examine the Bible, one of the things you cannot help but notice is the fact that God is detail oriented.
• When God told the Israelites to build a Tabernacle, He gave them all the details as to how He wanted it built.
• When the Ark of the Covenant was built, God gave detailed instructions as to how that Ark was to be built. God gave Noah instructions as to how to build the Ark.
• God gave mankind instructions as to how to live in a manner that is both beneficial to us as well as pleasing to God.
• When God offered a way for us to be saved, God offered us a detailed plan by which one can be saved.
• Today we will examine the crucifixion of Jesus together.
• There are are at least 29 prophecies that were fulfilled in Jesus during the 24-hour period beginning with the betrayal of Jesus to His burial.
• These prophecies were offered by different people over 5 centuries from about 1000 to 500 BC. McDowell, (1999).
• The details of the crucifixion are important enough for God to speak through the prophets hundreds of years before the crucifixion took place.
• These details also are further evidence that Jesus is who He claimed to be.
• The details also shoot down the ideas some have promoted over the centuries that Jesus really did not die, that He passed out and then escaped the sealed tomb.
• Today we are going to hit a great number of passages, but I will run them on the screen, if you have the Youversion App, you will be able to have them in the notes.
• We are going to examine 11 of the 29 prophecies concerning the crucifixion of Jesus.
• SLIDE #2
• Psalm 22:16 (HCSB) — 16 For dogs have surrounded me; a gang of evildoers has closed in on me; they pierced my hands and my feet.
• Luke 23:33 (HCSB) — 33 When they arrived at the place called The Skull, they crucified Him there, along with the criminals, one on the right and one on the left.
• SLIDE #3
I. His hands and feet were pierced
• Jesus was taken to be crucified. Psalm 22 speaks of how the enemies were surrounding the one being punished. The passage speaks of having the hands and feet of the one being hurt pierced.