Summary: Believers need to recognize the characteristics in their walk and heed to the commands of God. The / in the sermon text simply replace all the unimportant words...."the" "and" "of" etc.,
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
June 9th 2013
It’s about time: Walking in WISDOM
Intro: Beginning/Eph. 4:1 continuing through 5:14, the Apostle Paul has challenged the church concerning her walk before the Lord.
We have been commanded:
• Eph. 4:1-2 - To walk in Humility
• Eph. 4:4-13 - To walk in Unity
• Eph. 4:17-32 - To walk in Separation
• Eph. 4:14-16; 5:1-2 - To walk in Love
• Eph. 5:3-14 - To walk in Light
Now, we are challenged to add to those virtues the quality of wisdom.
• Our language means, “Knowledge of what is true or right coupled with just judgment as to action.”
• Scripture, carries/idea/understanding/will of God as it is revealed in His Word
• Coupled with the desire to live it out.
• The call here/for believers/yield/Word of God/our daily walk.
• We are to hear His voice, as it is revealed in His Word
• To live out that revealed Word moment by moment.
Here, Paul gives us some insights into what The Walk Of Wisdom is supposed to look like.
• Let’s look at these insights
• learn what The Walk Of Wisdom is
• How we can activate it in our lives.
I. V. 15 IT IS A DILIGENT WALK
The wise walk is clearly defined in this verse. Paul calls upon to the church to “be very careful, then how you live.”
• Means to “observe.”
• Idea of being “diligent/accurate/precise.”
• command for us to “be very careful”
• So careful we “walk accurately and precisely.”
If you’ve ever seen anyone walk a tightrope, then you know what Paul is referring to here.
• Person/tightrope watches where they place each step.
• Least deviation or inaccuracy/their footing would result/fall.
As believers, we must give due diligence to every step we take in this world.
• Any less/guarantee/fall into trap of the enemy.
• enemy that is set on our destruction
1 Pet. 5:8, “Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
• He sets traps for us
• lies in wait to attack us
• To destroy our walk with the Lord.
“But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed,” James 1:14.
Phrase “drawn away,” means “to lure prey from it hiding place.”
• Like a hunter sets a trap to catch an animal,
• Satan does all he can to lure us away from the place of safety and closeness to the Lord.
• He seeks to lure us into sin.
“enticed,” means, “to catch by bait.”
If you are going to bait deer, you don’t use dead fish. You use corn or apples, or something else that is attractive to the animal.
• Satan knows makes us tick.
• He knows what is attractive to us.
• Like a hunter who studies his prey
• Satan studies us to see what we like
• He baits his traps accordingly.
Satan/treacherous/very dangerous enemy.
The only reason he has any power at all to deceive and destroy us is due to the sin that dwells within each of our hearts.
• As James says, we are “drawn away of” our “own lusts.”
• Satan is only able to tempt us to sin eternally
• The will/ability to sin already exist within our hearts.
Every time we fall into sin it is only because we take the bait and
fall into the devil’s snare.
Have you ever done something you know is wrong and
immediately felt stupid because of it?
• We all have, and we should!
• The only reason we did it was because we fell/deception.
• We got snookered.
• We didn’t watch our step and we fell into the trap.
• So, knowing the deceitfulness of the enemy
• the wickedness of our own hearts
• Paul warns us to watch every step we take
• Each step is filled with danger, especially in this world.
We are counseled to walk, “not as unwise but as wise.”
• We are not to walk like the world around us.
• They stumble around/darkness of their depraved condition,
• They take no heed to where the next foot will fall.
• We are not so blind.
We have been:
• Redeemed/Made alive.
• Given the Spirit of God.
• Given the light of the Word of God.
• We don’t stumble about like a blind man
• we have been equipped to walk accurately
• placing each step precisely where it pleases the Lord
• Where it leads us closer to Him.
What a blessing it is to know that we do not have to fall for the deceptions of Satan.