Summary: We should not be at home in this world.
James 4:1–7 What is the source of the wars and the fights among you? Don't they come from the passions that wage war within you? 2You desire and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. You do not have because you do not ask. 3You ask and don't receive because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4You adulterous people! Don’t you know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? So whoever wants to be the friend of the world becomes the enemy of God. 5Or do you think it's without reason the Scripture says: The Spirit He made to dwell in us envies intensely? 6But He gives greater grace. Therefore He says: God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. 7Therefore, submit to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. (CSB)
(1) Believers are far too “at home” in the world.
(2) We live in a culture where we are taught to “have it your way, right away.”
I. We must fight our flesh. v 1–3
A. We seek worldly pleasure.
1. “Wars and fights” among believers v 1–2
2. “Cravings” v 1
B. We seek to have worldly possessions.
1. Selfishness v 2
2. Misplaced motives v 3
II. We must fight the world. v 4–5
A. The world is not our friend. v 4
1. We commit spiritual “adultery.” v 4
2. We try to court the world and date God.
B. We become God’s enemy. (v. 4)
1. We resist God by . . .
a. refusing to repent.
b. loving stuff more than God.
Gal 6:14 But as for me, I will never boast about anything except the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ. The world has been crucified to me through the cross, and I to the world. (CSB)
2. God is Jealous over us. v 5
2 Cor 11:2 For I am jealous for you with the jealousy of God Himself. I promised you as a pure bride to one husband—Christ. (NLT)
III. We must fight the devil. v 6–7
A. The devil . . .
1. is real.
2. uses our desires to tempt us.
3. entices us with the world.
1. God resists the proud.
2. God gives grace to the humble.
C. How do we fight the devil?
1. Submit to God. v 7
2. Resist the devil and he will flee. v 7
1. Love God more than we love the world.
2. Love others more than we love ourselves.