Summary: Since we have been transformed by His power, we are challenged to live like the new creatures we are.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
May 5th 2013
It's about time to transform!
Intro: This passage builds on what Paul has been saying about the new life we have been given in Jesus.
The word “Therefore” calls our attention back to verses 17-24, which are a basic overview of the new life we have in Jesus.
• Since the old man of sin has been “put off,” v. 22
• since the mind has been “renewed,” v. 23
• since the “new man,” has been put on, v. 24,
• The child of God is expected to live a transformed life.
• Putting off of the old man/renewing of the mind
• The putting on of the new man
• These events took place/lives when we were born again.
When the Lord saved us, He changed us.
• Made “new creatures,” 2 Cor. 5:17, at the moment of conversion.
• Everything changed!
• A life that had never existed began at that very moment.
• That is the essence of the new birth.
• You were born again as a new creation of God at the moment of conversion.
Since we have been transformed by His power, we are challenged to live like the new creatures we are.
In these passages before us today, Paul tells us something about what the new life looks like.
In these verses, he speaks about The Results Of A Transformed Life.
Let’s take some time to walk through these verses together and consider The Results Of A Transformed Life.
I. V. 25, 29 IN THE ARENA OF OUR WORDS
In verse 25 and 29, Paul deals with the area of our speech.
The things we say, and how we say them, are an indication of the condition of our heart.
• When our hearts are right, our words will be right.
• When our hearts are out of step with the Lord
• Our words will reveal that too.
• Here is how Jesus said it: Matt. 12:34–37.
With that in mind, let’s see what Paul has to say about this matter of our words.
• Put Away Lying - Verse 25
It is amazing that Paul would have to caution Christians against the sin of lying.
Yet, the heart is wicked and when we are put into a position where the truth appears painful, we sometimes resort to lies.
• When we do this, it grieves the Spirit of God within us.
• He is called “the Spirit of truth,” John 15:26.
• When we lie, we break fellowship with the Holy Spirit.
• When we lie, we give evidence that we have fallen into one of Satan’s snares.
• Consider John 8:44.
We live in a nation of liars. We lie at the drop of a hat.
73 percent to parents, and 69 percent to spouses.
Here are some common lies that are a part of everyday life in our nation.
• The check is in the mail.
• I'll start my diet tomorrow.
• We service what we sell.
• Give me your number and the doctor will call you right back.
• One size fits all.
• This offer limited to the first 100 people who call in.
• Your luggage isn't lost, it's only misplaced.
• This hurts me more than it hurts you.
• I just need five minutes of your time.
• Your table will be ready in a few minutes.
• Let's have lunch sometime.
We are believers, and we are to be characterized by the truth.
• The One Who is “the truth,” is our Lord and Savior.
• We are indwell by the “Spirit of truth.”
• By the way, a life that is characterized by a steady stream of lies gives clear evidence that it has not been redeemed, Rev. 21:8.
• Christians may fail and fall into a lie occasionally
• but they are never characterized by lies
Back to Eden
It all goes back to the Garden of Eden in Genesis 3.
• Serpent tricked Eve into eating the fruit.
• She offered some to Adam and he ate
• Knowing full well the consequences of his action.
Suddenly the world became a very unfriendly place.
• Fear entered the human heart for the very first time.
• Adam/Eve heard God walking/garden/cool/day, they hid.
• Sin had changed everything.
• Where once they talked with God freely
• Now they hid in the forest lest their sin be discovered.
At length God called out to Adam, “Where are you?” Adam answered and said, “I hid because I was naked.” God said, “Who told you that you were naked?”
Then the dreaded question: “Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?”