Summary: The Church that that was neither cold or hot just lukewarm. Jesus does not want his church to be lukewarm either be Cold or Hot. Get off the bench get into the game serve Christ to your fullest.
“IT’S ALL ABOUT ME” CHURCH
In review from the past weeks we see the criticism from Jesus to the Seven Church. The first church at Ephesus had Left Their First Love they like all the seven churches received different promises as to being Overcomers. The church at Smyrna received NO CRITICISM just exhortation and the promise to the overcomers. The church at Pergamum received criticism that some held the teaching of Balaam and the Nicolatians. The church at Thyatira criticism was their toleration of seductive, immoral, idolatrous, and impenitent (not sorry) that
women Jezebel. The church at Sardis, They Were Dead they had incomplete deeds, and many were asleep. But still if they would remain faithful they would be Overcomers. The sixth church letter was sent to the church at Philadelphia and just like Smyrna there was NO CRITICISM but the promise of an Overcomer they would be made a pillar in God’s temple that He will not leave them, they will have the names of God, His city New Jerusalem, and Christ’s name written on him. We now look at the church that was Lukewarm, self-sufficient, wretched, miserable, poor, blind and naked. This church fits a description of many churches, and their members today the church of Laodicea. However even with Laodicea being in such grave danger Jesus still gave them a way out as an Overcomer if they finished well keeping his word Jesus promised them they will sit down on Christ’s throne with him.
Laodicea was located approximately 90 some miles directly east of Ephesus, around 40 miles southeast of Philadelphia. Laodicea was the richest of all the other churches. It was as we call today the mega banking center in Asia. They were also known for their clothing industry, it is confirmed fact Laodicea had a particular breed of black sheep that were raised in and around countryside of Laodicea. The black wool was woven into special clothing was very popular among the rich that could afford it. It was also known for the medical, and pharmaceutical practice, they were known for their eye and ear salve.
Please turn to Revelation 3:14-22
14. And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
15. I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert
cold or hot
16. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
17. Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
18. I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
19. As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
20. Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
21. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.
22. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
As we finish up the last of the Seven Churches we will explore:
I. Jesus Tell Who He Is
II. Jesus Tell Them They Are Neither Cold Nor Hot
III. They Were Rich In Materialistic Things Of The World
IV. Jesus Pleads With Them To Get Right Before It Is To Late
V. Jesus says you must Repent (a change of mind, heart, and soul)
In the letter to Laodicea Jesus unlike the other churches Jesus gave some form of commendation but, to the Church that was neither COLD or HOT He gave nothing.
I. Jesus Tells Who He is.
A. Jesus was the first of all the Amen
1. We say Amen at the end of a Prayer
2. We say Amen when we agree with a statement a Pastor, or Sunday School teacher makes agreeing on the truth
3. Jesus is the establisher of all God’s promises to us as believers
B. Jesus is Faithful
1. We can count on Him always, He will neither leave us, or forsake
2. He is a faithful and true witness
3. On a witness stand you are ask to “tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth”
C. God is portrayed as the King of Creation