Summary: Living a New Way means Living with a New Attitude
1. 2 Corinthians 5:17 - Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
2. For the last 8 weeks, we have focused our study on the first 17 verses of Colossians 3. Living Life in a New Way!
3. Today, I wanted read the complete text but our focus will be on verses 15,16 and 17…
4. As we are committed to Living a New Way - Listen for new attitude we are to have
5. Read Colossians 3:1-17
6. Colossians 3:15-17 -- 15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. NIV
7. Living a New Way means having a New Attitude…
8. You make the Choice – and God will empower you to make the Change…
I will Let the Peace of Christ Rule in my Heart (3:15)
1. (eg) A four-year-old and a six-year-old presented their mom with the gift of a house plant. They had saved and used their own money to buy it and she was thrilled. The older of them said with a sad face, "There was a bouquet at the flower shop that we wanted to give you. It was real pretty but it was too expensive. It had a ribbon on it that said ‘Rest In Peace,’ and we thought it would be just perfect since you are always asking for a little peace and quiet so you can rest.
2. Let the Peace of Christ… This word for peace shows up in every New Testament book with the exception of 1 John. Peace is a word for harmony, for quietness, for settledness… Peace is His Strength in our Struggle. Peace is His Calm in our Chaos and is His Confidence in the Confusion of our lives. Peace is Faith when there is Fear. Peace is the Tranquility of your heart when there is a troubled heart.
3. Jesus, Himself gives us insight into the peace He is and the Peace He gives… It’s the night of His betrayal and Jesus is meeting with His disciples and sharing His final words with them…
4. John 14:27 -- Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. NIV
5. John 16:33 -- "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
6. Let the Peace of Christ rule in your hearts. His Peace is to umpire and referee our hearts. When the umpire makes the call – it stands. When the Referee reviews the play and the tape – that’s the final decision… We are to Let His Peace make the call, determine the decision, have the final say… Let the Peace of Christ Rule in your heart – His Peace decides. His Peace and determine all the matters of the heart. His Peace is to have the Final say, the final word on the matter. Let the Peace of Christ arbitrate – settle the matter. Let the Peace of Christ Rule!
7. What rules your heart? what governs your emotions? What decides you? What directs you? What determines you?
8. Peace will have no place if we let other things or other people rule our hearts. If you live only to please others – there will be no peace. If you live only to disagree with others – there is no place for peace… If you live life only for you – there will be no place for peace… If you let Worry have it’s way - there will be no peace... If you let Complaining and Criticizing Control – there will be no peace. If you let Divisiveness dominate – peace has no place… If you let your Guilt grip you – peace has no place. If you let Anger rule; Bitterness Rule; Malice Rule; Revenge Rule or Fear Rule – peace will have no place
9. You make the Choice and God will make the Change – Let Jesus Rule in your Life and His Peace will Rule in your heart, your words, your relationships, your attitude
10. Let the Peace of Christ Rule in your heart… Let His Peace Wage war on your Worry… With your Faith – you can Fight your Fear... With His Strength you can wrestle in the struggle. His Peace will be your Calm in the Chaos and will be your Confidence in all of the Confusion. Give Him Praise – you will have Peace!