Summary: The restoration of America does not rest in better economics, or smarter politicians, or a great military presence -----rather it is getting back to restoring God’s principles of Righteousness in the hearts and lives of the people of America. And it beg
“AMERICAN MUST WAKE UP”
The prophet Jeremiah delivered this great admonition to Israel:
“This is what the Lord says: Whenever you hear a statement like this you need to perk up and pay attention.
‘Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls.’ But you said, ‘ We will not walk in it.’ I appointed watchmen over you and said, ‘Listen to the sound of the trumpet!’ But you said, ‘We will not listen.’ Therefore hear, O nations; observe, O witnesses, what will happen to them. Hear O earth: I am bringing disaster on this people, the fruit of their schemes, because they have not listened to my words and have rejected my law.” (Jer. 6:16-19)
When Jeremiah wrote these word words it was about 626 BC –about 20 years from the initial attack from Babylon on Jerusalem. If Jerusalem did not heed the message of Jeremiah certain destruction will befall Jerusalem.
In hind site, we know what happened. Jerusalem was leveled. The gates were torn down, home were destroyed, women would become widowed, children would be taken from parents, and the people would be taken as slaves and prisoners.
If only Jerusalem would have listened to the words of Jeremiah some 20 – 40 years earlier. They had the ability to change their course of pending destruction.
Jerusalem was at a fork in the road. They had been presented the truth of their pending doom and they had a decision to make.
• Their situation was bleak. Jeremiah told them that they had forsaken God, that they were adulterers, and that their children had thronged to houses of prostitution.
• He rebuked them for being so far gone in their character that they did not even know how to blush.
• He told them, furthermore, that their preachers proclaimed lies, that their leadership was a ungodly, but the people accepted it. .
• Amazingly, Jeremiah told them, that if just one righteous man could be found in Jerusalem, God said he would forgive the city and save it from destruction.
THE BABYLON CAPTIVITY FORTOLD
Jeremiah, then, addresses and warns Jerusalem about the impending attack from the powerful and ruthless army and emenyfrom the north- Babylon.
In just a few years if Jerusalem does not repent, Babylon would attack and the result would be total devastation of the city which was still 20 plus years away.
However, at the time of Jeremiah’s admonition, there still was time for the people to turn to God and avoid disaster. Their future was not set. Their future was still in their own hands.
So, Jeremiah told them they had come to the crossroads and that they needed to ask for the old paths and walk in them.
• If they listened to Jeremiah with a penitent heart, , they surely would find peace for their souls.
• So, what happened? History tells us the people and their leaders would have none of it.