Summary: A sermon on the Devil/ Satan (Outline taken from Pastor Ranjan Samuel)
Sermon for 10/11/2009
Ephesians 6:10-13 (Emphasis on vs. 12)
A few minutes before the services started, the church people were sitting in their pews and talking. Suddenly, Satan appeared at the front of the church. Everyone started screaming and running for the front entrance, trampling each other in a frantic effort to get away from the evil one. Soon everyone had exited the church except for one elderly gentleman who sat calmly in his pew without moving, unconcerned to the fact that mankind’s enemy was in his presence. So Satan walked up to the old man and said, “Don’t you know who I am?” The man replied, “Yep, your Satan.” “Aren’t you afraid of me?” Satan asked. “No, sure ain’t” said the man. “Don’t you realize what I can do to you?” asked Satan. “I know what you can do to me,” replied the old man. “And you’re still not afraid?” asked Satan. “Nope.” A little perturbed, Satan asked, “Well, why aren’t you afraid of me?” The man calmly replied, “Well, I’ve been married to your sister for over 48 years.”
A. We need to have a healthy respect and understanding of the Devil.
B. From 2002- The New York Times reported a study about the diminishing belief in the devil among Americans. 2/3rd of Americans do not believe in the devil as a living entity. In a randomly selected survey of over 1,000 Americans, pollsters asked whether they agreed that Satan is “not a living being, but a symbol of evil.” 62% agreed with the statement. We need to understand that Satan is real and evil is real and that he is our #1 enemy as Christians.
C. For some years many people have claimed that there is no such thing as evil. However, when 9/11 happened almost no one disputed the claims of the President. “America was targeted for attack because we’re the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world. And no one will keep that light from shining. Today, our nation saw evil, the very worst of human nature.”
D. The devil is the originator and perfecter of evil. He leads a kingdom in opposition to the Kingdom of Jesus Christ.
Thesis: About the devil we need to know the 4 “P”s, the 3 “D”s and how we can overcome him.
I. The 4 “P”s
1. Personality- Know your enemy
Look up and read Isaiah 14:12-15
Look up and read Ezekiel 28:12-17
Look up and read Revelation 12:7-12
A. The devil is a prince.
1. Prince of the demons.
2. Prince of this world. From Revelation 12 he has a lot of control.
B. The devil is a ruler-
1. (Eph 2:2 NIV) in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and of the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient.
2. (1 John 5:19 NIV) We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
C. The devil wants to be God
1. God is all knowing. Satan knows a lot but not everything- Calvary
2. God is everywhere at all times. Satan gets around and his Kingdom is present but Satan cannot be everywhere at all times.
3. God is all powerful. Satan is powerful but God is all powerful.