Summary: Everyone, everywhere is in need of God’s wonderful grace.
1. READ THROUGH vv9-20 -- By the time we come to v9 here in CH3, the Holy Spirit wants us to understand something…
a. Everyone, everywhere is in need of God’s wonderful grace.
b. No matter what spiritual background you might have…
c. No matter what national background you might have…
d. No matter how good you are, how much you give, how religious you might live.
e. Nobody is better than anyone else… we are all equally charged and convicted as GUILTY before God!
f. ALL people that have ever lived have failed to meet God’s standard of rightness… --
NOW after reading through this section the question remains:
• How does someone get to heaven?
• I mean if being good won’t do it.
• AND no one seeks after God.
• AND being religious doesn’t do it.
• AND trying to obey God’s Law doesn’t do it.
• AND trying to make God happy doesn’t do it. THEN HOW?
NOTE: How a person answers that question will determine how they will spend their life here on earth and on into eternity.
• And yes, there are countless answers but only ONE is correct.
• Paul makes it clear… Jesus Christ is the only way to be saved!
WHAT? I’ve heard about this church & I’m a little surprised that you’re so narrow minded… there are a lot of good religions out there! – BUT LISTEN, what IF Jesus IS the only way?
• What if He answers every one of your objections…?
#1 – I’ve never seen God so I really don’t believe in a God.
• Well… Paul tackles that in CH 1 when He says, oh yes, you’ve seen God… look at His creation! (Look back at 1:20)
#2 – Well there are billions of people on the earth that don’t even have a Bible. Your God isn’t fair making Jesus the standard.
• Well, in CH2 Paul says the Gentile has God’s word… it’s written on their hearts! You know the diff between right and wrong!
• Look at 2:14-16
#3 – Well, I’m very religious even though I don’t believe in Jesus.
• So now here stands the Jew thinking, I’m circumcised, I keep the law, all 613 of them, doesn’t that get me to heaven?
• But see, no one keeps the Law, we’ve all fallen short…
• Religion & religious activities aren’t the way out… Jesus is!
So IS John 14:6 really a narrow minded statement OR a way out of my empty earthly existence to holy happiness with my Creator?
• So how does one get to heaven?
• You want the right answer to that question.
IT WOULD BE LIKE asking someone for directions because you were in a new town and you’re not familiar with the area.
• If they gave you the wrong directions you’re lost!
• And the longer the journey, the more you get lost!
• SO WHEN YOU ASK FOR DIRECTIONS on how to get to heaven, you better be right!
• And that’s the first direction Paul gives us…
• We’re all condemned under sin…
• SO THAT GOD might freely give salvation to anyone who places their trust in His Son, Jesus Christ!
I. (3:21-26) RIGHTEOUSNESS IS REVEALED
1. (21) But Now…
• These are wonderful, life giving words because none of us can keep the law.
• These 2 words mark a major transition in Romans.
• We move from the wrath of God to the Grace of God.
• The righteousness God demands is the very righteousness God provides!
APP: We come across this word “BUT” a lot in the Bible.
• Just as great doors swing on very ordinary hinges, so too dramatic changes in the Bible often hinge on this simple word.
• Sometimes it begins a downward spiral…
1 Kings 11:1 (NKJV) 1 But King Solomon loved many foreign women, as well as the daughter of Pharaoh: women of the Moabites, Ammonites, Edomites, Sidonians, and Hittites—
2 Chronicles 26:16 (NKJV) 16 But when he (Uzziah) was strong his heart was lifted up, to his destruction, for he transgressed against the Lord his God by entering the temple of the Lord to burn incense on the altar of incense.
Exodus 8:15 (NKJV) But when Pharaoh saw that there was relief, he hardened his heart and did not heed them, as the Lord had said.
• Other times it’s beginning of something wonderful & great!
Genesis 6:8 (NKJV) 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
Luke 15:20 (NKJV) 20 “And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.
• FLIP OVER TO EPHESIANS 2:1-7ff