Summary: Jesus offers us the gift of peace. How do we receive it? What is it?
• PC VIDEO
• Slide #1
• We all have things that we want for Christmas. As we continue with our “iWant” series, we will examine another one of those wonderful ‘Iwant” items that we can get from God.
• We live in a world that is very unsettled at best; we see wars, rumors of wars, terrorism, and threats wiping countries off the map.
• We see many people whose lives are unsettled, they are struggling to make ends meet, struggling to hold their relationships together, struggling to find the joy in life.
• There are a lot of misconceptions concerning peace as we saw in our clip this morning.
• We are going to try to clear up some of those issues today.
• As we look at the account of the angels appearing to the shepherds to announce the birth of Jesus, we are going to explore the issue of peace.
• SLIDE #2
• Luke 2:8-14 (quickview)  ( ESV ) 8And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. 9And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. 10And the angel said to them, “Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. 11For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. 12And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” 13And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, 14 “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!”
• Let us begin today by answering the question,”What is peace?”
• SLIDE #3
I. What is peace?
• Before we look at what peace is, we really need to understand what it is not.
• Peace is not just getting along with other people; it is not just having the comforts of life and feeling good about it.
• SLIDE #4
• What Jesus was saying that we were either going to be with Him or against Him. That is the division He would bring.
• Peace in not just the absence of war or strife although these things can be a part of peace.
• Peace is not overpowering another to get them to do what you want them to do. The old Soviet empire believed that peace was them being in charge of the world.
• What is peace?
• The peace referred to is the peace that only the Messiah can bring—not peace after war or conflict, but peace between sinful humanity and the holy God.
• There is a difference between what the world calls peace and what Jesus offers to us.
• SLIDE #5
• Peace is being in a right relationship with God.
• When we commit our first sin we are at war with God and as result we can never experience true peace until we correct that problem.