Summary: God’s children too experience problems in life, therefore, Christians should live soberly and thank God for Jesus Christ who is the deliverer of all.
Implied statements of facts / realities in Mark 4:35-41
Using this story, I want to claim that God’s children too experience problems in life, therefore, Christians should live soberly and thank God for Jesus Christ who is the deliverer of all. Let us take a close look at this particular story and cite other examples in the scriptures that make this claim true.
1. There are problems in the world
a. These disciples experienced strong wind (vs. 37)
2. Problems can show up anytime
a. This particular problem showed up in the evening - after they’ve embarked on a journey (vs. 35)
3. Problems can befall anyone, even believers
a. Those who experienced this storm were not ordinary believers but disciples of Christ
b. Job experienced too many loses (Job 1:13-22)
4. There are times when Believers too can exhibit fear
a. The disciples in this case
b. Joshua – when he started leadership (Joshua 1:9; 10:8)
c. Peter – when Jesus was arrested (Matt. 26:69-71)
5. Problems can be solved
a. Jesus solved this problem (vs. 39)
6. Jesus is our problem solver & deliverer
a. He calmed the storm as shown in this story saying, “…be still!” vs. 39
7. As long as we have Jesus, we can come out of our problems (overcome).
a. Since Jesus was present in the boat, he saved them. You are guaranteed safety because of Christ’s presence in your life
8. Believers need faith to survive in this world
a. Jesus queried their lack of faith (vs. 40).
b. It is the person who had faith that got the job done – in this case, Jesus
9. Faith levels differ
a. Jesus’ level of faith was greater than that of the disciples
10. One can overcome fear/timidity (2 Timothy 1:7)
a. When the Holy Spirit stepped in, Peter became a bold man
• Lord, give me the faith that is always alive: Even though Jesus was asleep, His faith was alive)
• Lord, give me a living faith that delivers the people around me (at home, church, community, etc.)
• Lord, rescue me from my present predicaments since you are in the boat of my life.