Summary: There is nothing so satisfying, so comforting, so animating to the soul than a Spirit-wrought display of the truth about Jesus Christ as the only way to God.
“JESUS CHRIST OUR ONLY MEDIATOR” - #2
Text: 1 Timothy 2:1-6
Intro: If someone were to ask you to summarize the Bible in five words or less, - How would you answer them? - You might say that the Bible is about … God’s glory and man’s salvation—and that would be an excellent answer. But suppose you were asked to reduce the whole Bible into two words or less… Then what would you say? There’s no better way to summarize the Bible than to say the name of -- Jesus Christ. For the glory of God and the salvation of man are both bound up in that wonderful name…
The apostle Peter testified before the religious council of the Jews, (Acts 4:12> ‘Neither is there salvation in any other, for there is NO OTHER NAME under heaven given among men by which we must be saved (than by the name of Jesus Christ).’
Or the declaration of the apostle Paul in, (Phil 2:9-11> ‘…God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the NAME OF JESUS every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that JESUS CHRIST is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.’
This morning, I would like to show you one of many biblical portraits of Jesus Christ. The portrait of Christ I would like to show you is one that is found in—1 Timothy 2. My purpose for showing you this biblical portrait of Jesus is two-fold—first, so that:
1. Those of you who already know Him - might know Him better and love and appreciate Him more.
2. Those of you who do not know Him - might come to know Him—not in a religious way, but in a real, personal, saving way. For ‘this is ETERNAL LIFE, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.’
There is nothing so satisfying, so comforting, so animating to the soul than a Spirit-wrought display of the truth about Jesus Christ; and we have one such blessed truth here:
In this passage, we have:
(1) The apostle Paul exhorting or urging God’s people to pray - for all men—all classes, nations, and races of men. But especially those who are in positions of authority.
(2) Two reasons why we must pray
<1st> That we may lead a “quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.” - v.2.
<2nd> Because prayer is good and acceptable to God who “desires all men to be saved and come to the knowledge of THE TRUTH.” - v.3-4.
But, what is this truth that God wants all men to acknowledge so that they might be saved? The truth found in (v.5-6).
The first part of the truth has to do with the:
1. SINGULARITY OF GOD – (v.5> ‘For there is ONE GOD’ – and this one God who made the heavens and the earth and all things that are seen and unseen—exists, above and beyond our senses. And though we cannot see or feel God, He is no less real and vital to our being and well-being. When God opens His hand, we are blessed with all good things; when He hides His face, we are troubled; when God takes away our breath, we die…
But there is only one God – not many as some people imagine. There is not one god for the Western world, and a different God for the East, and another for the Mid East. There is only one, true, and living God; and this ONE GOD transcends all nations, languages, races, cultures, people groups, and generations. (1 Cor 8:5-6> ‘For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), yet for us there is ONE GOD, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and ONE Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.’