Summary: did Jesus die for you? or did He just die? This sermon looks at why Jesus died
Jesus Died For You – True or False?
B. Why did this happen?
C. After reading our Scripture passage that is a normal reaction
D. When something happens we want to know the whole story behind it
E. Often when I watch the news on TV we do not get the whole story
F. We do not understand why something happens
G. And if it is a story that I really care about I will do research and find out the whole story
H. I am sure you have heard someone tell you that Jesus died for you, in fact I have told you that
I. But can that be true?
J. Did Jesus really die for you?
K. This is one of those things we have to do some research and find out the meaning behind all of this and why it happened
L. We Want to know the facts about the crucifixion
M. Today we are going to look at
a. What Crime Was Jesus Convicted of?
b. Did Jesus know this was going to happen?
c. Why did Jesus put up with this torture?
I. What Crime Was Jesus Convicted Of?
1. When someone was sentence to Crucifixion, it was because of the crimes that they had commit
2. Just like today we do not sentence someone to the gas chamber because they are a mean person, we sentence them because they did a crime
3. The Jewish leaders really wanted to get rid of Christ, so when they had him arrested they listen to some people testimony and it was not going good for them
a) They could not keep their stories straight they would contradict what each other was saying
b) However, finally they had someone come and say that “He said he would destroy the temple”
c) A very week argument at that, but the leaders said that was good enough
4. The Jews however, were under Roman rule, because of that rule they could not sentence anyone to death
5. So they brought Christ before Pilate and ask Pilate to order Jesus to be crucified
6. Pilate could not find anything wrong with Jesus, and said to the Jews that He thought Jesus was innocent
7. That was not good enough for the Jews, they wanted Jesus killed
8. Pilate you have to understand was a politician, he wanted to reelect so he did certain things to make sure that he was reelected.
9. Pilate having found nothing to convict Jesus of, but wanting to please the Jews ordered that he be whipped, but not killed
10. After that beating, the Jews came back to Pilate and still ordered that He be killed
11. There was a custom of releasing a prisoner once a year. Pilate choose one of the worse prisoners he Had, Barabbas and made the Jews pick between Jesus and Barabbas, they choose to release Barabbas
12. And when asked what should he do with Jesus, the crowd yelled crucify Him
1. What can we gain from this?
2. Jesus was never convicted of a crime.
3. There was no legal basis for Jesus to be sentence to crucifixion
4. Jesus was totally innocent
1. Think about this in terms of our culture. If someone is convicted of a crime we have a trial, we know that a person is innocent until proven guilty. Jesus was never proven guilty. We also know that when a death sentence is involved there are usually many many appeals, no appeal, this all happen with in about 12 hours, we also know trials to convict someone usually last 12 months or so. None of that happened