Summary: Jesus Greater Than Moses - Greater than everyone! (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Greater that Moses
Reading: Hebrews chapter 3 verses 1-6.
The theme of the book of Hebrews;
• Ill: Plane - Is like a banner waving high in the sky, so high that everyone can see it:
• The message it contains is short but true: ‘Christ is superior’.
The first few chapters of this letter have already testified to this fact:
• Chapter 1: He is superior to the prophets.
• Because he is God’s final word to mankind.
• Chapter 1-2: He is superior to angels.
• They are created beings and he is the creator,
• And now as we break into chapter 3;
• We are going to see that Christ is superior to Moses.
Note: As Western Gentile Christians:
• We might see a move from angels to Moses as a step down;
• But not to an Eastern Jew,
• Because, Moses is set apart from all other Jewish prophets;
• To understand the premise, the comparison;
• We need to think about what we know concerning Moses
• Remember he started life and ended life in most unusual circumstances;
• At the beginning of his life, God miraculously protected him as a baby;
• And at the end of his life, God himself personally provided for his burial.
• And between those two miraculous points in his life;
• There are recorded for us miracle after miracle after miracle!
• Ill: Remember he was the man God spoke to ‘face to face’.
• He had seen the very glory of God (in fact for a brief time he reflected the glory of God on his face)
• Ill: He was the one who led the nation to freedom;
• He had led them out of the slavery and the misery of Egypt.
• Ill: He was the one entrusted to receive the Old Testament Law;
• (e.g. 10 commandments and the writer of the first 5 books of the Bible).
• In fact to a Jew Moses and the Law were synonymous.
• Even the New Testament often refers to the commands of God as the ‘Law of Moses’.
• Ill: It was Moses who gave the people the plans for the Tabernacle;
• Ill: And it was Moses who gave the people the plans for d the Ark of the Covenant.
Quote John MacArther:
• “Some Jews believed that Moses was greater than angels.
• God spoke to the prophets in visions, but to Moses he spoke face-to-face.
• He spoke to him in a burning bush.
• He spoke to him out of heaven.
• He spoke to him on Mount Sinai and wrote the commandments with a finger of fire.
• Moses was above all others, God’s man”.
So the writer of this letter wants to remind his readers that Moses was great, but Jesus Christ is even greater!
• For them going back to Moses and the Law would be a backward step.
• Ill: Looking longingly at a photo when you have the real person there.
• Because Jesus Christ has fulfilled the Law;
• For these Jewish Christians the entire system of Jewish religion came through Moses.
• But the writer wants to show his readers that something even better came through Jesus Christ!