Summary: Jesus claims in this reading that to be a disciple one needs to be inclusive to all. Jesus was inclusive and calls us to be inclusive. The sermons teaches us the dangers of not being inclusive.
"Jesus is Inclusive" Mark 9:38-50
1. Our text starts out with the idea of who is included and those excluded
• Our text says Mark 9:38"Teacher," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us."
A. Deuteronmist excluded children
• 23:2No one born of a forbidden marriageA nor any of his descendants may enter the assembly of the LORD, even down to the tenth generation.
B. Deuteronmist excluded the Ammonites and Moabites
• Deut 233No Ammonite or Moabite or any of his descendants may enter the assembly of the LORD, even down to the tenth generation.
C. Paul claimed that once Gentiles were excluded
• Eph 2 12 12remember that at that time you were separate from Christ, excluded from citizenship in Israel and foreigners to the covenants of the promise, without hope and without God in the world. 13But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far away have been brought near through the blood of Christ.
2. Jesus tells us his view of Discipleship is not exclusive but it is Inclusive
• 38"Teacher," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us." 39"Do not stop him,"
A. Jesus claims the Work of God is not a Private or privileged Group
• Jesus called a diverse group such as Teenagers, Fisherman, tax collectors, fiery, humble ones etc..
B. Jesus calls us to be Ecumenical (Together, inclusive, united, universal, promoting unity)
• " Jesus said. "No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40for whoever is not against us is for us. 41I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward
3. Consider the possibility that Jesus maybe speaking to those who are excluding others, as a result of exclusiveness this may bring serious judgment. verses 42-50
A. Those that are excluding
• If one excludes it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck.
• If One excludes there is the need for drastic actions consider
• 43If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out
• If one excludes more drastic action is required
• 45And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell.And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48where " `their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.’E
4. Let us consider the ones Jesus Included into Discipleship
A. Jesus includes the Demons Legion Jesus said go home and tell what the lord has done for you
B. Jesus included the Samaritan Leper who out of ten was the only one to return thanks
C. Jesus included the woman with the issue of blood, "Go thy faith has made thee whole
D. Jesus included the woman caught in the act of adultery