Summary: Life is full of worry: Money; Health; Children; Depression; Disappointment; Fear. There is an answer, it will protect you from fear and lead you to peace. A lesson learned from Jesus walking on water.
Jesus is the Answer
• Life is full of worry: Money; Health; Children; Depression; Disappointment; Fear.
• There is an answer, it will protect you from fear and lead you to peace.
I. Paralyzing Fear
A. The disciples were alone and afraid.
1. They had been in a fearful situation at sea before and Jesus saved them. Mark 4
2. They were trying to save themselves.
B. We can find ourselves in fearful situations.
1. Problems come up and no matter how hard we try to overcome, we can make no progress.
2. Trying to save ourselves is not the answer.
This is where the disciples found themselves. “Staining at the oars because the wind was against them.” They had gone as far as they could go.
II. The Answer to Fear
A. Jesus was the answer to the disciples situation.
1. What do you suppose Jesus was thinking?
a. Why don’t you just ask me for help?
b. Don’t they remember when I helped them before?
c. I guess I’ll just go a little closer and remind them.
2. Jesus went to them - WALKING ON THE WATER!
B. The answer to our problems is Jesus.
1. Without Jesus we are in trouble.
2. Jesus rescues us just at he did his disciples. “Take courage, it is I, don’t be afraid.”
Although they had gone as far as they could go, Jesus took them the rest of the way.
III. An Amazing Revelation
A. The disciples biggest problem.
1. They were too immersed in their present struggle to look for the answer.
2. They were too busy rowing and going nowhere to realize that help was near.
3. When they caught a glimpse of Jesus, they let him in the boat and “the wind died down and they were completely amazed.”
B. The source of their amazement.
1. Was it seeing Jesus walking on the water?
2. Was it at their lack of faith?
3. Was it both?
• Life throws some difficult curves at times.
• We have a choice of how to deal with them.
1. With the help of Christ
2. Or Without
• Difficult times are easier dealt with when Christ is in the boat with you. Phil. 4:13
• Jesus helps us bear our burdens if we ask him. 1 Peter 5:6–7
• When life throws those curves and you find yourself straining at the oars, don’t forget to stop and let Jesus in!