Summary: Jesus is the Mighty Deliverer. No matter how strong the chains may be that bind you, Jesus can set you free. And he who the son sets free is free indeed!
VISITATION #8: JESUS IS THE MIGHTY DELIVERER
INTRO TO TOPIC:
• For the past two months, we have been studying the life of Jesus in the Gospel of Luke.
• Last week, we looked at how Jesus is the Prince of Peace, and can calm our storms.
• This story takes place right after Jesus and His disciples went through the storm.
“Then they sailed to the country of the Gadarenes, which is opposite Galilee. And when He stepped out on the land, there met Him a certain man from the city who had demons for a long time. And he wore no clothes, nor did he live in a house but in the tombs.” (Luke 8:26-27).
• Mark says: “neither could anyone tame him. And always, night and day, he was in the mountains and in the tombs, crying out and cutting himself with stones.” (Mark 5:4b-5).
• Here was a man in a desperate situation. He was naked, cried in agony and cut himself, but no one could help him. How many people in the world today are in bondage like this?
• Addictions to alcohol, porn, gambling; panic attacks; obsessive or negative thoughts; depression; poor relationships; bitterness or unforgiveness; low self-worth to name a few.
• This man was in a desperate situation… until Jesus came to town!
“28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, fell down before Him, and with a loud voice said, "What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You, do not torment me!" 29 For He had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For it had often seized him, and he was kept under guard, bound with chains and shackles; and he broke the bonds and was driven by the demon into the wilderness. 30 Jesus asked him, saying, "What is your name?" And he said, "Legion," because many demons had entered him. 31 And they begged Him that He would not command them to go out into the abyss. 32 Now a herd of many swine was feeding there on the mountain. So they begged Him that He would permit them to enter them. And He permitted them. 33 Then the demons went out of the man and entered the swine, and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the lake and drowned. 34 When those who fed them saw what had happened, they fled and told it in the city and in the country. 35 Then they went out to see what had happened, and came to Jesus, and found the man from whom the demons had departed, sitting at the feet of Jesus, clothed and in his right mind. And they were afraid. 36 They also who had seen it told them by what means he who had been demon-possessed was healed. 37 Then the whole multitude of the surrounding region of the Gadarenes asked Him to depart from them, for they were seized with great fear. And He got into the boat and returned. 38 Now the man from whom the demons had departed begged Him that he might be with Him. But Jesus sent him away, saying, 39 "Return to your own house, and tell what great things God has done for you." And he went his way and proclaimed throughout the whole city what great things Jesus had done for him.” (Luke 8:26-39).
• This man’s story is a testimony of hope to anyone who struggles to find freedom.