Summary: In a world where we can do nothing to bring ourselves to grace with God, we are blessed to have Jesus Christ to intercede for us and deliver us from our sinful lifes and use us for His glory.
JESUS MAKES THE DIFFERENCE
In Jeremiah. 13:23, we read, "Can the Ethiopian change his skin, or the leopard his spots?" The truth is, man is a sinner, lost and undone, separated from God by a wide chasm of sin. He needs something done in his life that he will never be able to do for himself. He needs what Jesus and Jesus alone can do. It is Jesus who makes the difference in the lives of fallen men and women.
This passage is all about the great difference that Jesus makes in the hearts and lives of fallen men and women. I want us to look together at these verses and consider for a few minutes, just How Jesus Make the Difference.
I. THE PITIFUL NATURE OF MAN’S SIN (vv. 1-3)
A. Lost Men Live A Wretched Life (Verse 1)
• They are dead and separated from God by a sea of sin (Isaiah 59:2)
• Theirs is a wretched condition (Ephesians. 2:12)
• They are dead to God and to everything He represents and is able to do for them. They are Dead!
B. Lost Men Live A Wayward Live (Verses 2-3a)
• According to these verses, the lost man is not in control of his life.
• Men have this great desire to control their own destiny, yet they are really just little pawns, pushed about by the whims of the flesh, the world and the devil.
• Every lost sinner is a wretched, wayward soul this evening – Isaiah 53:6.
6 We all, like sheep, have gone astray, each of us has turned to his own way; and the LORD has laid on him the iniquity of us all.
• The end of their waywardness is death – Romans 6:23a
23For the wages of sin is death
C. Lost Men Live A Life Under The Wrath Of God (Verse 3b)
• At this very moment, every person outside of the shelter of the blood of Jesus is under the wrath of God.
• The only thing that keeps you from dropping off into Hell at this very moment is the grace and mercy of Almighty God.
• He doesn’t hate you, but He does hate your sin. His holiness demands that the sentence on sin be carried out, and it shall be, in His time and in His way!
D. What a Pitiful situation
• Some of you may be there or know someone that is, Lost and undone without Jesus and headed to Hell.
• I am grateful for those two words, in verse 3: "But God!"
• That is all that stands between the sinner and Hell this evening!
• In them, we find the supply for our need, blessings without end and glories beyond description.
II. v. 4-6 THE GLORIOUS PROVISIONS OF OUR SAVIOR (Verses 4-6)
A. He Gave Us Love (Verse 4)
• God loves the sinner with an everlasting, undying, never ceasing love – Romans 8:38-39
38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
• It was this great love of the Father that propelled Him to send His Son Jesus to die for our sins on the cross.
• It was this love that bound Jesus to that cross.
• Thank God for the awesome love of God for sinners this evening!