Summary: We are continuing in the series "Conversational Evangelism". Today we will examine the relationship that Jesus had with Mary & Martha. This message is designed to help us fall a little deeper in love with Jesus!
Jesus, Mary & Martha
Lakewood | Speaker: Pastor Jonathan | 4-2-2017
Run Video of the Alabaster Box (6:12)
Sometimes ministers like to get “real deep” in different meanings of stories such as these but I’m a practical life application preacher and today I want us to just look at a few things that happened here and see if it can’t help us fall a little deeper in love with Jesus!
I. Be Authentically You (All of us are called to be and do different things like Mary & Martha)
A. Not everyone is going to think like you or place the same value on things that you do…
1. All an Evangelist thinks about is “How many got saved?”
2. Pastor’s are consumed with Discipleship training
3. Teachers are “line upon line and precept upon precept” people.
4. Prophets are “everything is black or white there is no grey area” people.
5. Apostles bring order and structure to the Body of Christ and can function is pretty much all areas for short seasons…
B. She washed His feet with her tears and dried them with her hair.
1. She used what she had…
Question: What if we all quit trying to be someone we are not and realized that how God made us is enough?
II. The Alabaster Box
A. Notice that in the process of worship Mary gave with no other objective than to be in His presence.
1. Later, Jesus would raise her brother from the dead but how did she know that he was going to die?
B. There is value in giving to God that which you cannot personally recover.
1. There’s no way she could have gathered the oil back up and put it in the bottle. (The asset was “spent”)
Questions: What am I offering to the Lord? Does it have any value to me? What is my purpose for giving? (hopefully worship)
III. The Words of Jesus
A. Jesus spoke to Simon and at the same time addressed the elephant in the room.
1. How dare a woman like Mary interrupt their important meeting with Jesus?
- Sometimes there’s a rock in the road…
- God has to allow interruptions in our lives to keep us on message
- NEVER FIGHT A DIVINE INTERUPPTION
2. Simon, you and your crew did not value me enough to even receive me as an honored guest.
- There is great danger in trying to hard to “humanize” Jesus. - He’s Still God!
B. V.47 - Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little.
1. There is cleansing in worship
- The Blood of Jesus cleanses us from all of our sins but… tearful worship can help cleanse our emotions and open our hearts so Jesus can minister to peace to us!
- DAILY WORSHIP ACTIVATES THE PRESENCE OF GOD IN OUR LIFE
C. V.48, 50 - Jesus said to her, “Thy sins are forgiven, thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.”
1. The presence of Jesus changes everything!
2. Our activity of faith is essential to everything that we receive from God!
- When we read, speak, confess and declare the Word of God over our lives… we are engaging in the “Activity of Faith!”
3. It is the desire of God’s heart that we live a peaceful and quiet.
17 And the work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness quietness and assurance for ever.
18 And my people shall dwell in a peaceable habitation, and in sure dwellings, and in quiet resting places;
2:1 I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
2 For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth.
Question: Is Jesus speaking to me today?
Closing: It’s time for a recommitment to a relationship with Jesus.